Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: sir edward elgar  (Read 1427 times)

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
sir edward elgar
on: June 05, 2005, 01:22:42 AM
hsd anyone listened to his conducting of his own violin concerto  in b minor, op. 61? i heard it on www.wnyc.org/music/playlists/08212002.html  it's really beautiful.
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline Rach3

• PS Silver Member
Re: sir edward elgar
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 03:24:02 AM
If you've heard his violin concerto, you should hear his cello concerto - amazing, if oddly organized, piece. I have duPre's recording, it's quite sublime.

-Rach3
"Never look at the trombones, it only encourages them."
--Richard Wagner

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 03:41:54 AM
will take a listen.  maybe buy the cd tommorrow.
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline thomj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 12:51:56 AM
I have the recording or old eddy boy conducting his violin concerto with yehudi menuhin as soloist... when he was 13 I think. Insane. But unforunately, Elgars aesthetics don't do much for me. I tried to like it, really... it's just not my style. Does anyone else have a problem with his music?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert