Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Op 9 No 1 Chopin  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Jorgen

• PS Silver Member
Op 9 No 1 Chopin
on: June 05, 2005, 08:01:31 AM
I am teaching myself to play the piano for three years now and I have a problem with Op 9 No 1 by Chopin. I searched the net for pianists performing this song resulting in:

www.jorgenhorstink.nl/chopin/Op_9_No_1_Arthur_Rubinstein.mp3
www.jorgenhorstink.nl/chopin/Op_9_No_1_Brian_Chapman.mp3
www.jorgenhorstink.nl/chopin/Op_9_No_1_Sviatoslav_Richter.mp3

They all play it differently. So my question is: are all three performances good ones?

Secondly I'd like some comments on my own performance, since teaching yourself is hardly impossible.

www.jorgenhorstink.nl/chopin/Op_9_No_1_Jorgen_Horstink.wav

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Op 9 No 1 Chopin
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 05:30:59 PM
Although Rubinstein is typically the definitive reference for Chopin interpretation, I prefer a cross between Chapman and Richter's performances,as I don't like the mechanical nature of Rubinstein's flowing runs.  Your performance is good but have another look at 0:26.
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Offline stormx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 12:00:49 AM
You MUST listen to Arrau's version  :D :D

I cannot imagine how this piece can be played better  8) 8)

And your play is very good.
I beleive Arrau take it a bit slower (i usually tend to prefer slower tempos, especially for Nocturnes).

By the way, keep in mind that i am giving my opinion as a simple listener, because i am completely unable to play any of these pieces !!! (Clementi's easiest sonatina is my current challenge  :P)

By the way, this is my favourite Chopin Nocturne.

Offline Barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 07:59:36 PM
   Those are very good performances, but I would also suggest the recordings of this piece by Claudio Arrau, Guiomar Novaes and Ida Cernecka.
Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com[/url]

Offline robert

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 01:31:52 PM
You MUST listen to Arrau's version  :D :D

I would not generally say that Arrau is a great Chopin interpretator but when it comes to the Nocturnes in his "Recordings of the complete Chopin Nocturnes (+Impromptus)", and to this Nocturne in particular, it is among the best interpretations.
Download free classical piano recordings and free sheet music at Piano Society (https://pianosociety.com)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert