Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Liszt's Un Sospiro  (Read 7251 times)

Offline Bananasplizit

• PS Silver Member
Liszt's Un Sospiro
on: March 28, 2002, 12:17:28 AM
I've been working on Un Sospiro for the past few weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to practice it.
I've got most of the notes figured out, but I still need to get everything to flow and not to be stopping all the time to figure out what fingers go where etc.

Thanks!

Offline Diabolos

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt's Un Sospiro
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2002, 01:11:58 PM
Something I found helpful when playing Liszt was splitting the piece in different parts; after that I practised every single measure, usually taking the first and adding more and more to it - if I made a mistake I started all over again. Then it was easy, I just had to put the parts together and accelerate the tempo.

I don't know if that works with Un sospiro (I don't have the score), but it did with 'Wilde Jagd', for example.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt's Un Sospiro
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2002, 02:29:46 PM
I play Sospiro often. It is a beautiful piece, both musically and physically. I think it contains opportunities to use different techniques in different places to different effect. I rarely play it the same way twice in succession. I like to think of the melodies as highlights in a clear crystal. I like everything to be clear and bright. That's just my opinion; plenty of people play it in a wash of pedal and mistiness. The hardest part for me was working out how to sound those waves of arpeggios just before the descending scale in D flat. Whatever I tried sounded unmusical for ages. In the end I found I liked them best played quite regularly, almost light staccato, not too much pedal and considerably slower than most interpretations. The last page is a little miracle isn't it. It's just the same arpeggio figure on major chords Db,Bb,G and E - the notes of the symmetric diminished chord. Simple! - but how effective it is !  I did something embarrassing with this piece. I usually memorize things right away and don't bother to look at the score again. I played it for ages without realizing the pentatonic motif is stated within the final arpeggios !  
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert