Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: A Piano Maniac/Addict?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline jhon

• PS Silver Member
A Piano Maniac/Addict?
on: June 14, 2005, 06:53:00 AM
How long exactly can you stand NOT touching the piano?  Are you the type who easily feels upset and frustrated for not having played the piano for a long period of time? I ask this because this is exactly how I am. I can't stand even a single day not touching the piano. I would become irritated and my hands would feel like cramming to play.

Of course, there are unexpected emergencies – such as long trips, vacations, important occasions, sickness, etc. In such situations, I do adjust but as much as I can, I avoid being in such instances.  The MAXIMUM I can stand for NOT touching the piano is only 1 DAY!  One week? OMG...I will surely go crazy! – which I remember I almost did when I had to attend this required 3-day religion camp way back in college.

Is this normal for classical pianists? Are you experiencing the same? Anyway, IMHO, this can be just normal. Unlike other musicians, we pianists do not have the benefit of literally carrying and transporting our “heavy” instrument (piano) wherever we go to play whenever we want. I just envy the guitarists, violinists, flutists, and the like.

Offline possom46

• PS Silver Member
Re: A Piano Maniac/Addict?
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 08:06:13 AM
I used to be like this, very irritated, hands restless, even at school I had to play piano in my lunch hour, just couldn't help it!! Now I have family commitments so am patiently waiting until September when my youngest starts nursery school to get back into practising properly again. I do try abit but usually get requests to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star  :(

Offline Teddybear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 08:08:09 AM
I think it's normal. I don't experience it at the moment, but that's because I'm depressed. Nonetheless, not having enough time for practising is frustrating.

T
Teddybear

(>"<)
('(ö,   )")
  '(¥   )/
   ¿.¿.J

Offline apion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 08:57:13 AM
Every once in a while I like to take a week or two off.  However, the first few days of abstinence are pure hell .........

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 04:18:15 AM
There were a lot of times in university when I could only practice 1 or 2 days a week (Majoring in Music) because universities seem to have this thing for "academics"  ::)  I really didn't mind because I was doing so many other things. 

In the summer I usually do projects around the house, so taking a week off is sort of common for me.  The most I probably could go without practicing is 1 month.  The most I probably did not practice is 2 months - took only a few days to get back to normal after that. 

I remember my 1st year at university when all I wanted to do was play the piano, because that was the first time in my life that I studied something I really enjoyed, full time.  I would play every chance I got, even for just 5 mins every time I saw a set of keys.  Well those days are over - I've calmed down now....... and YAY I just graduated  ;D ;D ;D  Graduating with fellow musicians is a unique experience.... we looked a bit "out there" singing songs marching down in our togas - but understood the theory behind it and knew how to make it sound good  ::)
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline Barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 04:56:46 AM
 I feel the same way all the time... When I lived in Brazil, I came to visit the U.S. for about 2 weeks, and I could not handle. The entire trip I thought about the piano, and I just kept playing the imaginary piano on the table all the time, until it started to bother my family. :P My hands felt very weird and stiff. When I got back home, I ran to the piano... Was a very good feeling... When I go somewhere for too long, I now take my Alfred Cortot's edition of Chopin's Etudes. When I went to the Pipe Organ Encounter on Baylor University I felt as if I was in heaven, tsss... Piano people, pianos and organs, piano and organ concerts, and classical music programs the whole week... I still make visits to the piano in the auditorium every lunch. It seems strange that I cannot stay away from the piano. :P
I'm crazy, probably... ;D

Mario Barbosa
Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com[/url]

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 09:52:43 PM
I can go without touching the piano for a while, because I also play the guitar and love it ALMOST as much  ;)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 10:01:05 PM
Recently I had to go without my piano for seven weeks while the action was being replaced. I thought it would be terrible but it wasn't. I kept my physical technique up with the practice clavier and thought a lot about music. Admittedly it was a good day when the job was finished though !
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline danyal

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 05:15:59 PM
It drives me MAD! Need to play... need to play... There is no way I could ever give it up... I spose that means it's mine for life... I even get irritated doing this... NOTHING could EVER replace the amazing life that is music and the piano! Incredible!
I dont play an instrument, I play the piano.

Offline Jacey1973

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 11:28:01 PM
Same with me, a day away from the piano feels like a week!
"Mozart makes you believe in God - it cannot be by chance that such a phenomenon arrives into this world and then passes after 36 yrs, leaving behind such an unbounded no. of unparalled masterpieces"

Offline llamaman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 11:33:28 PM
It drives me insane. However I will have to live without one for 2 months soon *sob*
Ahh llamas......is there anything they can't do?

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert