Piano Forum

Topic: Dilemma  (Read 1538 times)

Offline LondonWestender

• PS Silver Member
Dilemma
on: June 14, 2005, 11:35:18 PM
I have a 1915 Broadwood upright which I love to bits, but is badly in need of some tlc (which could cost hundreds, if not thousands, of UK pounds).   My dilemma is:  do I restore the Broadwood and do my bit for history, or spend the cash on a new instrument.   I kind of feel I owe it to the Broadwood to preserve it (it has a wonderful tone, and is cosmetically in A1 condition).  But I fancy a shiny new Yamaha U3, and feel like being seduced by the sleek oriental.   Or are digital pianos a serious alternative these days?   I mainly play Middle of the road classical and popular classics (badly), sight read play from memory and improvise in equal measure, but I aspire to work on my technique and try more challenging material.   Any words of advice??

Offline jr11

• PS Silver Member
Re: Dilemma
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 11:58:32 PM
As far as restoration goes, the decision can only be yours. You may be without a piano for a while though, while the work is done. And it may never be up to your expectations.

A U3 Yamaha is a fabulous upright, but not cheap. For that kind of money you can get a very nice Ritmuller grand (make sure you get Renner action) that will be far better value for you. Another option is a smaller German used upright.  I can highly recommend the Seiler Primus model; shorter, but fantastic projection, and seems to get better after a few years.

Confusing, isn't it?

Offline Glyptodont

• PS Silver Member
Re: Dilemma
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 03:45:50 PM
London--

Another consideration is money. 

If you have lots of $$$$, do what you want and not what is economically advantageous.

Some people go out and buy a new Mercedes or Jaguar sedan, and pay cash. 

If you are not going to miss the money, do what you want and forget about a new piano.

Good luck--

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert