Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: twentieth century concertos  (Read 1656 times)

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
twentieth century concertos
on: June 16, 2005, 12:57:12 PM
am taking a concerto class in the fall, and so i bought a book by roeder entitled 'a history of the piano concerto.'  in reading the twentieth century section, i found i had not heard many of them.  which of the following have you heard and liked?

vaughn williams concerto for piano
(three movements played without a break-third mov't has a chromatic fugue section)

william walton's sinfonia concertante for piano and orchestra (jazz-inspired)

benjamin britten's piano concerto (four mov'ts = toccata, waltz, recitative, aria and march)

tippett's piano concerto of 1953-55 (created after listening to beethoven's fourth pc - celestia in duet in the last mov't of tippett's pc)

schoenberg piano concerto (oscar levant wrote programmatic sketch to all movt's:
life was so easy (andante) suddenly hatred broke out (allegro molto)
a grave situation was created (adagio) but life goes on (rondo)

webern's op. 24 (originally planned as a piano concerto)

so many more!  copeland, and my favorite so far leroy anderson's piano concerto.

do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline dlu

• PS Silver Member
Re: twentieth century concertos
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 05:04:02 PM
YES! SCHOENBERG! I listened to the entire thing this morning when I was getting ready to go take my final exam of the school year. I love it. I would reccomend listening to Gould, Pollini, or Ax. There are all superb.
DLu

Offline Alde

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 04:35:02 PM
The Barber Piano Concerto (American) and the Jacques Hetu Piano Concerto (Canadian) are also excellent modern day concertos.

Offline pianomann1984

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 09:15:11 AM
YES! SCHOENBERG! I listened to the entire thing this morning when I was getting ready to go take my final exam of the school year. I love it. I would reccomend listening to Gould, Pollini, or Ax. There are all superb.
DLu

Mitsako Uchida has also made a wonder recording of this incredible work.  My teacher tells me that the Vaughn Williams, Tippet and the Walton are not so good.  The Richard Rodney Bennett Concerto is wonderful, as are the Kenneth Leighton Concerti.  I have also looked at the Ginastera and De Falla Concerti (Nights in the Gardens of Spain is a phenomenal work!), which I like very much.  Good luck with your class!

Chris
"What would you do if you weren't afraid?"

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 07:13:42 PM
thanks for the responses.  i'll take a listen to the new ones suggested.  concure on the de falla (nights in the garden of spain) as all the colors bring out an orchestral feel to the piano.
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline ajw400

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 12:32:02 AM
The Ligeti piano concerto is a masterpiece!!!! Of course, I still think the first two bartoks are the gold standard....

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 01:47:30 AM
The Barber Piano Concerto is supreme.

Other good ones include the 2 Shostakovich Piano Concertos, and the 3 Bartok Concertos.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert