Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Liszt Spanish Rhapsody  (Read 9949 times)

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Liszt Spanish Rhapsody
on: September 06, 2006, 09:37:51 PM

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt Spanish Rhapsody
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 10:55:02 PM
Another piece that is bringing me on a trip down memory lane. Very strong sound. Grandezza. Around 2.19 it's somehow schubertish i find.. very nostalgic. Youre gifted. You really touch my heart..Where have you been studying? ok it's after midnight and i'm slightly sentimental. But not drunk. I avoid drinking since last year.  5.45, here it sounds actually spanish. 9.14-10.20 verrry fast, indeed. Oh man that's too much. exciting. ;D ;D very emotional and very serious interpretation. wow i love writing comments while listening, it's fun.

Offline daniel patschan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 04:14:36 PM
Super ! Better than Kissin´s performance from the Carnegie recital. You must be famous.  :)

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 11:35:02 PM
Very fine playing!  I am working on this one right now, and I know how hard parts of it are to control.  You did an excellent job; I especially love how straight forward you play it- kind of like Gilels, but with less wrong notes.  Stephen Hough or even Cziffra sometimes use too much rubato and throw in extra stuff to make it special, as if Liszt didnt make it special enough, and I like how you dont do this.

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 10:32:51 PM
Most impressive.  It sounds very polished and controlled. One of the best recordings I have heard in the audition room.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 09:56:59 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA *!!!!!!!!

DA MARIK genius!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH this RAW FURY ZTYLEE, JUZ LEGENDARY true!!!

AHAHAHAHA genius ACCURACY THRUOUT

AHAHAHAHAHAH DA MARIK ALT OCTZ, ZLITELY WIKID!!

AHAHAHA ZTUNNINLY FLUID ENDIN

respect  8)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 02:41:54 AM
you are starting to pay more attention to the 'outer edges' of your playing.  for instance, in the high treble when you have the 'twaa twaa twaa' part with rh and lh. i hear something being done differently each time at the outer edges. 

the more you study 'decay' of sound - the more you can imitate it in reverse.  take for instance - any note in your piece.  if you know the decay - then you know the exact loudness that you should play it - so it will not cover any other note - and also will not be too soft. 

you are really quite good.  you are just refining into the 'artistic world' of which artists are better suited to give advice.  it's just that i happen to like to listen and write about things that i hear.  especially good piano music. 

i think it's a relationship with the hammers and strings (the action) rather than with the keyboard.  your pedalling is really good - but i would also - keep the foot even tighter on the pedal.  you know, those 'story telling parts' that go slowly - don't lift the foot all the way off.  just hold taunt the line.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 11:16:21 PM
Dear marik, I'm sure I'm not the only one who waits tensely for your opinion to all our comments.  ;D
Greetings

Pianowolfi

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 01:21:49 AM
Your performances holds up against any version I've heard.

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 02:07:01 AM
Marik is one of the most valuable members of these forums. Listen t this recording. Then click on his name and read some of his post. He is a real pianist.

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 06:37:52 AM

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 08:33:46 AM
Marik is one of the most valuable members of these forums. Listen t this recording. Then click on his name and read some of his post. He is a real pianist.

Yes, I totally agree! :)

Offline daniel patschan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 01:14:57 PM
He is on of the very few who actually prooves their professionalism in knowing and playing the piano by really showing this in these two pieces. Both recordings indicate he is a professional pianist of the highest order - as oposed to others who just talk (don´t want to mention any particular names).

Offline klick

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 07:16:27 PM
This piece got me into Liszt, have not heard it in a long time. You did a fabulous job with it, lots of emotion, work and musical analysis went into this and it shows. Awsome job.

Klick
Ev/Klick

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 12:57:21 AM
whenever there is a repetition - such as the 'twaa twaa twaa' part - i like to hear increasing intensity - which is a lisztian attribute.  and i certainly wasn't saying it was missing - but i personally feel that although i hear the path so nicely - i was only speaking of a very minor portion (the outer edges as i call it) of fine tuning and not the basic musicality/artistry.  sometimes when you get to the pinnacle it is the very little things that distinguish you from another pianist.

sorry if i sound unappreciative, though, because i know i am way below your level right now.  and, i don't play much liszt.  but, one can have a perspective without being a concert pianist (yet) and also listen to someone's interpretation with details in mind that would intensify the listeners pleasure. 

i realize listener's pleasure really doesn't mean much, though - because you can't please everyone.  obvioiusly, you have professionalism about everything you do - and also artistry - which is most important as you say! 

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 01:40:05 AM

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 01:45:39 AM
true.  ok.  you have the basic 'twaa twaa'  part repeated twice  and then you go into the 'twaa twaa' development  (in the very highest registers with the rh and lh at the beginning - after the intro).  i want to hear someone zapped electrically.  for me, it sounded like the person was dead before the completion of the final zapping.  ps  i'm not normally like this - and i'm not referring to torture - as i am definately against it.  but, i'm referring to the intensity of the line.  i personally would continue zapping.  it's just a preference.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 03:36:26 AM
To be honest, I am completely lost as for which parts you are talking about and what outer edges do you mean. Maybe something like timing into the piece or measure numbers would be helpfull.
haha cmon man, you know, that twaa..twaa part
.... heh :)
I think pianistimo is talking about parts in 0:36 to 1:16, and wants you to increase in intensity as you go higher and higher, so when you get to the highest notes, the sound is very bright and like fireworks.  and then these fireworks stay on for a while

I think you could experiment with this idea.  from 1:06 to 1:16, when the left hand is playing the chords, play them more solidly, and more softly than the right hand.  In other words, try to think of the left hand chord just as it is written - as the first note in a group of 5.

As for the right hand, slow it down a teensy bit, to appreciate the tension between the notes, and get louder and brighter as your arm moves from left to right.  When I do it, I try to really grip the keys and rip them out of the keyboard

Offline 00range

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 11:21:53 AM
Bravo!
'Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can *** off.'

Offline flontarna

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 03:21:07 PM
wauw!

very beautiful played! one of the best things I heard on this forum.
If I can play the second ballade, is this possible for me to play?

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 03:56:22 AM
Dear Marik,
Because I was in Europe this last summer and I also was busy on september, I found only today this post by chance and I listened to your recording.
It's AMAZING, STAGGERING
WHAT A PERFORMANCE!!!

and all these nuances... one of the best Liszt I've ever heard !!!
BRAVO!!!
and THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH!!!
Music soothes the savage breast.
Paul Naud

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 07:12:54 PM
You are amazing.
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 05:47:48 PM
SUPERB Marik, just freakin amazing! I love your raw fury, technic and musicality.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 11:37:31 AM

This is one of the best performances I've heard of this!   Bravo! ;D
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 02:18:43 PM
WOW that was VERY VERY good
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 03:33:12 AM
Hi marik,

This is one of the greatest performances I've heard of this rhapsody.  Extraordinary!  Thanks so much for posting it here.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline steffin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 03:23:14 PM
This is one of the best, I`ve ever heard. It was wonderful  :D
Oh, I wan`t to be able to play this, I`m really enamored in this piece  :-[
But I also know, I`ll never play as good as I need  :'(
You must be famous, because of that great interpretation!!!

steffin

p.s.: sorry for my horrible English, I don`t speak it very well  ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert