Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Debussy, "La fille aux chaveux de lin" (Preludes, Bk 1)  (Read 8136 times)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Debussy, "La fille aux chaveux de lin" (Preludes, Bk 1)
on: September 07, 2007, 02:59:12 AM
I've never posted this piece before, so thought I'd do so now.   Debussy was innovative and daring in using pentatonism in his melody, giving the piece almost a Nordic flavor.  It's unclear whether this is an observer's actual visual impression of the girl with the flaxen hair, or perhaps just a daydream.  Either way, it's most evocative.  This lyrical prelude is in A-B-A form with a cadential coda. 

Note: When I was transferring this to a mp3 digital file, I didn't pay close enough attention to the output volume meter, so it sounds a bit louder than the original recording.  You might want to simply turn it down a tad. 

Comments welcome. 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
Re: Debussy, "La fille aux chaveux de lin" (Preludes, Bk 1)
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 10:34:32 PM
Some very nice things in the melody line. I think lightening up on the chords will enhance overall, and compliment better some of your ideas. There is a lilt to the dotted rhythm and chord accompaniment toward the end that feels to me like a dance . Actually the whole piece to me feels like a dance, but not something real in the present, but a wonderful memory or image in the back of your mind. Love this piece, I'm sure you do too. My favorite is recording by Thibaudet. :)
"Music is the pen of the soul"

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 11:00:10 PM
Hi matter,

Thanks for listening!

Yes, "La fille" is a wonderful piece.  No matter how many times you hear it (or play it), it always has a fresh sound to it.  I'll have a look at the chords you mentioned.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 11:35:43 PM
Good job!  I enjoyed this!

Josh
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 12:35:22 AM
Thanks, Josh!

You know, when a pianist plays a miniature like this prelude, the major difficulty lies in the treachery of its simplicity, which leaves the pianist totally exposed should an error of some kind occur.  For that reason, I've often said that Chopin's half-page Prelude No. 7 in A is the most difficult piece ever written. 

Thanks for listening and commenting!

David

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 10:19:25 AM
Thanks, Josh!

You know, when a pianist plays a miniature like this prelude, the major difficulty lies in the treachery of its simplicity, which leaves the pianist totally exposed should an error of some kind occur.  For that reason, I've often said that Chopin's half-page Prelude No. 7 in A is the most difficult piece ever written. 

Thanks for listening and commenting!

David

I would say that Traumerei is more treacherous than the Chopin prelude in A... ;) 
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 10:25:50 PM
Yes, that one too!  I think even Horowitz felt the turmoil of nervousness playing Traumerei in recital.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert