Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: New piece that I have to learn by Sunday, what to do?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline magic_sonata

• PS Silver Member
Hello, and I am seeking for some advice. It happens to be urgent, as I have little time to prepare.

A little background information. Well, I am advanced pianist and I have been studying piano for about 10 years and I have had lessons for 8. I am currently studying as a student under a piano pedagogy in a pre-collegiate piano program at a university.
This summer (well, this Sunday, to be exact), I will be attending a summer institute. My instructor has given me an ensemble piece today to learn by this Sunday, then to be performed by next Friday.
So I'm scrambling to finish all 10 pages by the deadline. It's a piece I know I can take on, however, I am a perfectionist and I want to perform this to the best of my ability. Another note: it doesn't have to be memorized.

My main question: how can I learn this piece in a matter of a few days and perform it? Also, are there any practice tips and tricks to get it learned, up to tempo, and with the utmost amount of musicality and understanding of the piece?

Thank you.

magic_sonata
magic_sonata

Offline hozepshad

• PS Silver Member
Re: New piece that I have to learn by Sunday, what to do?
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:46:05 AM

Check this out; the second half is targeted more towards advanced students, but if you have time I recommend watching the full video (it's 15 minutes)

I hope this helps
Working on:
- Beethoven: Sonata no 3, opus 2 no 3
- Chopin: Mazurka, opus 67 no 4
- Chopin: Etude, opus 10 no 2
- Tallis: O Sacrum Convivium (piano transcription)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 02:57:01 AM
My main question: how can I learn this piece in a matter of a few days and perform it? Also, are there any practice tips and tricks to get it learned, up to tempo, and with the utmost amount of musicality and understanding of the piece?

Make sure your familiar with the other ensemble parts - read through them, and see how they relate to what you're doing. You already know how to get it up to speed (or as much speed as you can in the limited time), but knowing the other parts will make you're task much easier when you get there.  The other players are unlikely to believe they are there to provide background for your performance, so the better you understand their parts the better placed you are.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline magic_sonata

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:23:03 AM
Make sure your familiar with the other ensemble parts - read through them, and see how they relate to what you're doing. You already know how to get it up to speed (or as much speed as you can in the limited time), but knowing the other parts will make you're task much easier when you get there.  The other players are unlikely to believe they are there to provide background for your performance, so the better you understand their parts the better placed you are.
Thank you for your advice. I have listened to the other three parts on Youtube and checked out the music online. It has helped immensely as I now understand the main theme and the style of the piece.

Check this out; the second half is targeted more towards advanced students, but if you have time I recommend watching the full video (it's 15 minutes)

I hope this helps

Wow! What a great video. Definitely worth the 15 minutes.
magic_sonata

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 01:10:56 AM
I'd set a deadline for practicing vs. performing.  Wrap up the practicing part on some date and then shape whatever you've got into the performance.  Then practice that as the performance.

"learn by this Sunday, then to be performed by next Friday"
Sounds like there's some wiggle room here.  I'd still aim for having it sound decent on Sunday.  It sounds like an ensemble piece. Nobody's going to listen too carefully to you. They might not notice if you simplify or leave out a few things.  They will notice a mistake though.  I'd have something ready for Sunday and then try to add in more as the week goes on. 

Or just cram practice.  Get it as ready for Sunday.  Then let it solidify during the week so the performance is more solid.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 05:28:50 AM
you don't have to play solo, so maybe you can relax a little bit, knowing that. Just make sure you know where your part is most prominent (where you lead and where you follow). Obviously, where you lead should be played with style.
I'm hungry
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert