Piano Forum

Master Teacher Christopher Elton – Never Ending Impetus
With 50 years at the Royal Academy of Music and an international teaching career, Professor Christopher Elton has gained unique experience in how to coach accomplished artists. In this unique interview for Piano Street, Elton shares his insights and views on the big perspective. Read more >>

Topic: Recommend a Theory Workbook?  (Read 3375 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Recommend a Theory Workbook?
on: January 23, 2024, 02:36:18 AM
Does anyone have a recommendation for. Theory Workbook, that someone can study with a teacher and do homework with, for beginner? Many thanks

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Recommend a Theory Workbook?
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 02:08:45 PM
I have heard good things about this series but haven't personally tried it:

https://pianoadventures.com/product/piano-adventures-level-1-theory-book-2nd-edition/

Maybe something for you to research more into?

Offline nellyaurora

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 09:46:23 AM
I would recommend "The Complete Elementary Music Rudiments" by Mark Sarnecki. This workbook covers all the essential music theory concepts in a clear and comprehensive manner, making it suitable for beginners of all ages.

Offline pianocavs

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 07:13:55 PM
Hi everybody.
I recently published the book "Music Theory Applied to the Piano – Introductory Level –"
Its download, use and distribution are free, complying with some minimum conditions established in its Appendix 1 (specially, keeping its integrity and not obtaining any profit from it).
In addition to the theory discussion, it includes a section of examples that are connected to their scores and can be played.
Maybe it could be useful as a support for your classes and as a general reference.
You can find it and download it at:

https://piano-maps.com/libro-book-download

Any comment is very welcomed.
The best for all of you.

Offline medication

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 09:37:33 AM
Hi everybody.
I recently published the book "Music Theory Applied to the Piano – Introductory Level –"
Its download, use and distribution are free, complying with some minimum conditions established in its Appendix 1 (specially, keeping its integrity and not obtaining any profit from it).
In addition to the theory discussion, it includes a section of examples that are connected to their scores and can be played.
Maybe it could be useful as a support for your classes and as a general reference.
You can find it and download it at:

https://piano-maps.com/libro-book-download doodle jump
Any comment is very welcomed.
The best for all of you.
I have read the book and learned some good things in the book. If you have time, I hope you will publish more books.

Offline pianocavs

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 05:12:19 PM
Thank you for your valuable comment.

I hope this can be useful for you, your students, and anyone interested.

From page 375 on, the exercises can be played.
The scores can be reached clicking the blue arrows.

Thank you again, and the best for you.

Offline kosulin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 07:34:40 PM
- Joseph Straus. Elements of Music, 3rd Ed. (Pearson, 2012) is organized very nicely, covers everything up to progressions, separates theory sections, in-class activities, and exercises. Might be what you are looking for. The 4th edition (Oxford, 2021) is a little bit expensive IMO, but the 3rd ed. can be probably found for less. Be careful if buying a used copy - it may have exercises filled by a student.

Other options if you are not willing to pay that much, but not as good as above IMHO for thorough work with a teacher:

- Sandy Feldstein. Practical Theory Complete - a classical combo textbook and workbook, spiralbound is the best inexpensive edition IMO.

- Berkeley Music Theory (2 volumes) by Paul Schmeling is also classics IMO with a lot of exercises.

- Basic Music Theory, 4th ed.: How to Read, Write, and Understand Written Music, by Jonathan Harnum.
Older 1st and 2nd editions were available as free pdf on his web site in the past, not sure this is still an option.
It covers elementary theory up to scales and chord progressions, and some odd meters (but not much here), and has exercises at the end of each chapter.

- Another nice option that also covers a little bit of Harmony:
Carter, Nicolas. Music Theory From Absolute Beginner to Expert - The Ultimate Step-By-Step Guide to Understanding and Learning Music Theory Effortlessly, 3rd Ed. (2018)

- William Duckworth. A Creative Approach to Music Fundamentals. 9th Ed. (Thomson Schirmer, 2007) would be nice to work with teacher, but concentrates on scales and chords more, i.e. its target audience is probably more blues/jazz/rock than classical.

- Miller, Michael. The Complete Idiot's Guide To Music Theory - also has exercises at the end of each section.
I like it more than Music Theory For Dummies by Michael Pilhofer and Holly Day.
Both are for aimed at self-education.
Vlad
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert