Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Advice needed on very young students!  (Read 3287 times)

Offline pianodeanne

• PS Silver Member
Advice needed on very young students!
on: April 05, 2002, 10:41:56 PM
Hello.  I have just been asked to take on a very young student.  She is 3 and 1/2.  My youngest student right now is 5.  Do you have some suggestions or games?  I will most likely use the Alfred or the Bastien method with her, but I wonder what else I can do that will not seem "boring" to a 3 yr old.  I want to make it fun.
~~~Thank you~~!~~    :-/
Praise, praise, praise!!!

Offline BillH

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice needed on very young students!
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2002, 11:38:03 PM

I would suggest writing out simple melodies that the child might already know such as some
    Disney Melody. Also you might find a Silver Burdett K-1 Music Book and incorporate some of      the songs from there.

Offline Janae915

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2002, 12:01:40 AM
There are books now for the very young beginner by Alfred.  They are really cute.  Alley Kat sheet music store in Cypress, CA has them.  The number is 714-229-8528 and fax is 229-8515.  The program is called Music for Little Mozarts.  I highly recommend it.

Offline ludwig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2002, 04:05:57 AM
How about playing some simple duets, graphic notation work, or even playing with your other students or different instruments such as a very simple ensemble setup. But you've always gotta remember what the parents or the child him/herself wants to acheive out of learning the piano. A career foundation, just a bit of musical activity, or just for fun. Don't forget to do the technical stuff as well as the fun and games if they want to become a musician. :) hope this helped.
"Classical music snobs are some of the snobbiest snobs of all. Often their snobbery masquerades as helpfulnes... unaware that they are making you feel small in order to make themselves feel big..."ÜÜÜ

Offline mojohk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2002, 07:03:56 PM
When I started, I think I was three, I remember having a lot of fun with singing, singing along, hand clapping/rhythm games, and just plain listening to music on tapes (we didn't have that many cds then).  I've also seen people color-code the piano keys and have kids recognize color-coded music notes...very cute.  I wasn't raised on the Suzuki method, but I've also heard it's pretty effective.  I grew up on good ol' John Thompson, theory primer included.  I'm sure you can get a hold of them at any store.  Disney also sounds like a good idea...tunes they're familiar with.  
Most of all, let them explore the sounds and the keys as much as possible.  Rules and memorization will come later, if not naturally.
Also, try to determine their attention span early.  My fascination allowed me to stay on the bench for hours from the start.  My sister, however, could barely stay for 15 min. in her early years.  
Hope this helps!  Good luck! :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert