Piano Forum

Poll

Just for fun: If a rich man offered to buy you either a brand new  Mason & Hamlin BB, or a brand new Steinway B, which would you choose?

Mason and Hamlin BB
New York Steinway B
Hamburg Steinway B

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Mason and Hamlin BB Versus Steinway B  (Read 5643 times)

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Mason and Hamlin BB Versus Steinway B
on: July 05, 2005, 12:26:51 AM
Okay everyone, I'm really curious about this one!

Offline gkatele

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mason and Hamlin BB Versus Steinway B
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 01:03:52 AM
You know [/b][/u][/color] what my choice would be!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Groucho Marx

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 01:11:09 AM
Hamburg B =)
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline gfiore

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 02:19:43 AM
 Hamburg
George Fiore  aka "Curry"
 Piano Technician serving the central New Jersey Area.
My piano- A 2004 Bosendorfer Model 214 #47,299 214-358

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 03:10:05 AM
Yes, George--in fact, I thought of you when I created this thread.  I voted for the Mason, too.  They really are marvelous.

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 08:29:35 PM
Come on!  This thread has been up a long time. Let's get some more votes!

Offline dicke

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 04:17:18 AM
I guess if I vote I should take the time to say why.  Many years ago I had the opportunity to visit a showroom in southern california.  When I traveled I would always take a break and spend time looking for that special steinway.  There were several beautiful examples on the floor.  However next to a b steinway was this not so pretty used M&H bb.  It was temporarily positioned and looked somewhat out of place.  However, when I plunked on it, I was shocked by its sound. It approached perfection.  The amazing thing was that the b next to it was a new well prepared piano. Yet the difference between the two pianos was significant.  From that day on, my quest included the M&H bb.  Over the years I have experienced excellent  to awesome bb's.  I never really have seen a bad one.  At the same time I have played on b's that ranged from miserable (new on showroom floor) to outstanding. I presently own a M&H cc though many of the bb's that I ran across were very close in performance.  BTW I did not buy that first bb since it was already sold.  It had been brought out of the back so the new owner could hear how it sounded in the same setting as the steinways.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert