Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: chopin prelude  (Read 4706 times)

Offline nixo1000

• PS Silver Member
chopin prelude
on: July 12, 2005, 09:46:46 PM
Can you guys listen to this and critique my interpretation.

Thanks

Offline pet

• PS Silver Member
Re: chopin prelude
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 11:51:43 PM
I think you're playing the piece a little to fast...and without a lot of expression.  However, this can be fixed easily by playing slower and feeling the music. ;)

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 08:11:39 PM
#4 is an example of playing the right notes at the right time.

The time has come to pay attention to all of the things that are not written in the score!! Exciting isn't it!!

First of all, play a lot slower, and reflectively, My personal taste would also, not speed up so much in the middle of Harmonic motifs.

Next, the song at this point lacks melodic energy, first because it is getting destroyed by the 3 against one odds with the L.H. in order to be heard. Second, because the phrasings need to be "sighed" more.
Practice Ghosting the L.H. (touching the keys, but not playing) while playing the R.H. louder than normal. When this is mastered, you are ready to experiment with the balance between melody and accompaniement. Most professional recordings have a very quiet L.H, like a gentle sobbing in the background.

Finally, the L.H. notes need to be played all at once. This will make the song cleaner, and will also make the left hand seem quieter. Do not play the chords with a rigid hand, but use yuor arm weight to gently drop onto each chord.

I thought this was stronger.

I would not be able to hear the melody unless I knew the song previously.
Vioce the top of each chord by "pointing" towards the melody note with your finger when you play. Again, be sure to not forget to play all chord tones at the same time. inthis case I noticed that your R.H. plays before your L.H. most of the time, Drop both hadns at the same time as in the previous example.

Good luck, you are playing technically, but now that you are playing intermediate repertoire, you must spend an equal amount of time of artistic details, as technical elements.

Thanks for the recording!!
"He who answers without listening...that is his folly and his shame"    (A very wise person)

Offline rafant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 05:51:15 PM
4: Play left hand softer so that the melody highlights.

20:  It sounds as a chain of succesive chords, so follow more closely the score indications: i) Observe the phrasing lines. Practice without pedal until you get legato using the fingers and so the melody can be heard; ii) use a slower (Largo) and more stable tempo; iii) pay attention to the dynamic, there are pp, p, FF, cresc., etc.; and iv) there must be ritardandi in bars 8 and 12.

These are favourite preludes to me too.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert