Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: La Campanella  (Read 4289 times)

Offline invictus

• PS Silver Member
La Campanella
on: July 14, 2005, 11:49:08 AM
After starting to learn the piano on my own without the help of the piano teacher, i decided to learn La Campanella, just curious about 1 question
For the Treble Staff, do you play all the notes only with right hand (that's such a big leap) or split some into left hand

Offline rachfanatic

• PS Silver Member
Re: La Campanella
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 12:20:25 PM
This piece is a Study of note leaps so the notes should be played with the right hand.

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 02:20:09 PM
yep.

Good luck.

Offline Dazzer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 04:35:14 PM
cuz you're need it.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 08:25:53 PM
When i used to play this, i must admit i did use my left hand.

Playing the piano is difficult enough as it is. If i find a way to make it easier, i use it.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 08:57:14 PM
When i used to play this, i must admit i did use my left hand.

Playing the piano is difficult enough as it is. If i find a way to make it easier, i use it.

That is okay must of the time but let me remind you that this is an ETUDE, thus destorying the whole perpous of it (except creating music blah blah etc)
Whisky and Messiaen

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 09:08:26 PM
Yes it is an Etude but also a lot more. It is more important to play it cleanly and beautifully than with the correct hand.

If i was playing Czerny or Cramer etudes, i would never cheat.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline Barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 05:42:31 AM
Yes it is an Etude but also a lot more. It is more important to play it cleanly and beautifully than with the correct hand.

If i was playing Czerny or Cramer etudes, i would never cheat.

I agree. But also, I believe that we should take all advantages that we can from the music, a great piece, and also a great technical study to improve flexibility, accuracy, and stamina and give an introduction to the Lisztian technical and musical world. But since this is not pure technique, I certainly agree with thalbergmad.

After starting to learn the piano on my own without the help of the piano teacher, i decided to learn La Campanella, just curious about 1 question
For the Treble Staff, do you play all the notes only with right hand (that's such a big leap) or split some into left hand

I also learned to play piano by myself for 3 years now, and I have not yet finished practicing La Campanella. But, one advice, don't worry that much about the big leaps, they are actually not that hard after you practice and examine those passages. Shouldn't take too long to get used to the jumping hand and moving arm. The only thing, the hand has to jump, there is no need to stretch the hand that wide.
Enjoy practice. ;)

Mario Barbosa
Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com[/url]

Offline invictus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 08:07:17 AM
Is there anyone who could help me out with this piece, its annoying me badly, the right hand, i keep on banging the notes in between, any pieces or prerequisite czerny pieces i should try out?

Offline lufia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 02:10:25 PM
None of that will help my son. Repetition repetition repetiTion! if you cant get a bar perfect keep repeating it until your fingers are sore than the next day you will be able to play it.
musicality

Offline maxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 03:15:53 PM
repeating mistakes is a good way to train them  :P

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 03:32:34 PM
repeating mistakes is a good way to train them  :P

You beat me to it. Not being able to play a bar and repeating it over and over again will result in perfectly NOT being able to play the bar!

So, one must identify and define precisely what it is that causes the trouble. Read through the myriads of threads about slow motion practice and note accuracy. But most important of all, get a teacher. I believe that it is close to impossible to do a good job without proper guidance. This includes the musical aspects and particularly the technical aspects. Who knows what kinds of bad habits you have acquired by now. They will inhibit your progress.

Just to diffuse any reaction such as "I don't want a teacher. I just want to learn this piece, so tell me how to do this.": you are consulting the forum, which means you are in fact asking a teacher (the forum being the teacher). It would however be infinitely more productive to physically sit down with someone who can look at how you play.

Offline dikai_yang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 05:25:13 PM
you can download my la campanella here: ftp://64.229.14.182
it needs the divx codec to view the video, can be downloaded here: https://www.divx.com/divx/play/download/
last time a lot of people told me they couldn't log in to my ftp,
i really don't know why, if you guys see problems, please let me know

Offline dikai_yang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 05:36:42 PM
does any of you guys have a personal video recording of this??   mind to share??
i really know want to know how everybody plays it...

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 06:32:13 PM
For the leaps,

throw your right hand at the higher notes.  You will miss at first, but it will come with time.  Bar by bar is correct.

Offline invictus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 05:11:21 AM
Kinda mastered the first row, boy, its difficult, and the rest of the piece, the next  few pages are really discouraging, really discouraging

Offline fliszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 03:22:00 PM
i suggest you get a teacher

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 07:47:04 PM
If you find the first row of La Campanella difficult, you're not up to play La Campanella. The first row is like SO easy compared to the rest of the piece. I suggest you get a teacher so he can guide you well trough other easier pieces first, then come back to La Campanella later. I allways wanted to play La Campanella. If I would have learned it at your level, I would not have done it. I waited. Now it will not take me more than 2 weeks to learn it. Seriously, wait before it. It will be much more rewarding.

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: July 19, 2005, 08:48:35 PM
If I would have learned it at your level, I would not have done it. I waited. Now it will not take me more than 2 weeks to learn it.

Whisky and Messiaen

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: July 19, 2005, 08:57:47 PM
The notes.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: July 19, 2005, 08:59:10 PM
I agree. If you even have questions on how to read the notes, much less play them then I say you are over your head.

boliver

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005, 10:22:04 PM
The notes.

So you learned the notes to La Campanella at full speed in 2 weeks... and how long was it you had been playing?

I am really impressed. When will we get to hear any audio? Or your revolutionary etude that you play way above the metronome mark?
Whisky and Messiaen

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: July 19, 2005, 10:39:48 PM
let the war games begin.........

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: July 19, 2005, 10:52:41 PM

*gets catapult ready*
Whisky and Messiaen

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: July 19, 2005, 11:53:28 PM
LOL

what will you use as ammo?

Offline dikai_yang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: July 20, 2005, 01:56:35 AM
for the ammo, i suggest you use some coins wrapped in some 10-dollar bills....
hit me anytime....!!

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: July 20, 2005, 01:57:59 AM
you wish sucker. How about spoiled pork?

Offline viking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: July 20, 2005, 02:06:42 AM
I would say never cheat with this one.  In some cases it is great to do the easier thing, but its not THAT difficult to get the leaps.  Many people can learn the leaps without a huge amount of trouble.  Believe it or not, its not the leaps that make this piece notoriously difficult.  The difficulty comes later.  This piece humbles even the greatest of pianists. 
SAM

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: July 20, 2005, 03:49:12 AM
Many people can learn the leaps without a huge amount of trouble.Believe it or not, its not the leaps that make this piece notoriously difficult.

Yep the leaps are not hard for me. What is hard is to get a continuous flow. And other details. I allready did a post for a record of my phantasy op.28 by mendelsohn. Concerning the revolutionary study at over metronome mark, i said I was able to bring it there, but it is completly unmusical. In concert, I play it only a bit over the normal tempo. Nothing unusual. It is not because I can play a piece at 200 that it's at it's best at this speed. It's way  better between 160-170.

Offline invictus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: July 20, 2005, 11:52:38 AM
Actually, the first page is rather easy compared to others, yes, and the other pages, i mean it, are really discouraging

Boy, i sometimes mess up with left hand has a greater part

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: July 21, 2005, 12:00:28 PM
Yep the leaps are not hard for me. What is hard is to get a continuous flow. And other details. I allready did a post for a record of my phantasy op.28 by mendelsohn. Concerning the revolutionary study at over metronome mark, i said I was able to bring it there, but it is completly unmusical. In concert, I play it only a bit over the normal tempo. Nothing unusual. It is not because I can play a piece at 200 that it's at it's best at this speed. It's way  better between 160-170.

When will i heard a recording of the Rev, la campanella or maybe the 10:1? If you have recorded once, why not again. :)
Whisky and Messiaen

Offline mound

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: July 21, 2005, 01:23:51 PM
invictus - how long have you been playing piano and what other pieces are in your repertoir?

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: July 21, 2005, 01:32:40 PM
When will i heard a recording of the Rev, la campanella or maybe the 10:1? If you have recorded once, why not again. :)

I'll tell you why not again. Because I went to a piano camp, and at the end they recorded the piece you played. I played Mendelsohn's phantaisie op.28. So this is my only recording of me.

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: July 22, 2005, 05:29:26 AM
Invictus, you will have a more satisfying piano career if you progress smoothly and naturally. I guess you could bite off a huge chunk like this, but woulden't you be happieer with a number of easier pieces of differing styles under your belt?
"He who answers without listening...that is his folly and his shame"    (A very wise person)

Offline invictus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: July 22, 2005, 08:11:23 AM
invictus - how long have you been playing piano and what other pieces are in your repertoir?

Read the top, 3 years and 1 year of self

jeremy

I thought it was actually to the curve and not a leap too great

Offline mound

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: July 22, 2005, 05:53:15 PM

jeremy

I must be missing something. I didn't see anywhere, still don't, you having said how long you have been playing. ??

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: July 23, 2005, 02:55:50 AM

jeremy

Whoops...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert