Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Quality of pf online scores?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Quality of pf online scores?
on: July 16, 2005, 02:17:53 PM
Just wondering about this.

I've heard you should only get Henle urtext.  Other editions are likely to have mistakes.  I'm wondering about where the pf scores come from, what type of quality they are.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Quality of pf online scores?
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 02:45:49 PM
I've heard you should only get Henle urtext. 

Did you run into a Henle PR guy?

That would be far too simplistic. Henle is certainly one of the better publishers, but by no means uncontested. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. How do you know if a score is correct? You can either trust the authorities, or find an autograph and try to make sense of it. In many instances, there is no "correct" version. Urtext, in many cases, is edited too, although usually a lot less than fully edited versions. I personally enjoy comparing scores (and finding differences).

Regarding the scores on PF (or any other Internet source), I guess only time will tell about their quality. Only if knowledgable people download the scores and check them will we know.

Offline nomis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 09:58:52 PM
By PF, do you mean this site? If so, most of the scores are public domain editions, and are usually over at least 50 years old. This means that the majority of the scores are heavily edited, but avoids copyright infringement.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 10:12:46 PM
By PF, do you mean this site?

Oops, sorry. I should have said 'PS'. I'm not quite used to the new site :-[

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 01:03:44 AM
I had a look at the J.S. Bach 2 voice  inventions.

They are the Czerny edition, which is heavily edited and considered “wrong” by most purists.

However, like xvimbi, I like comparing scores and I think much can be learned from it. The printing came up with very good quality. Czerny learned his Bach from Beethoven, so this edition can perhaps give you a glimpse on how Czerny (and by implication) Beethoven may have played it. A pretty wonderful feature was that  the original autographs (in Bach’s handwriting) are also available (only for the two voice inventions, unfortunately). They even make good pictures to hang on the walls! :D

I wouldn’t recommend relying solely on this edition, but it is certainly an interesting extra edition. (My favourite edition is the ABRSM “Signature Series” edited by Richard Jones).

I have just glanced over other pieces, but many of them do not supply the information about the original edition as in the case of the 2 voice inventions.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert