Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2017, 10:27:27 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Do We Judge Music by Sight More Than Sound?

With an increased share of classical music consumed in various audivisual formats in relation to audio only, a relevant question to ask is whether it disturbs or enhances the musical experience of a classical composition. We have selected four distinctly different types of videos with respectable performances of the same work, Liszt’s Sonata in B minor. Listen and watch a few minutes of each and then cast your vote! Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Debussy  (Read 4872 times)
saraha
PS Silver Member

« on: July 18, 2005, 02:06:02 AM »

This is my attempt at playing Debussy's Claire de Lune. Your comments and observations would be greatly appreciated.

* clairedelune.mp3 (1802.45 KB - downloaded 523 times.)
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Clair de Lune (moonlight)
goansongo
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 08:04:26 AM »

The notes are coming around perfectly.  The only thing you need to work on is playing with more feeling.  It sounds really structured right now.  Maybe play with some rubato you know?  And vary the phrasing too!
ryan2189
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 03:39:04 AM »

agreeing with what goansongo siad, I still must say that you did an excellent kob. You inspired me to pick up this piece and play my heart out with it
ryan2189
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 03:40:33 AM »

forgot to check my spelling. those were supposed to be "said" and "job" I'm a kind of person to go back and fix something like that.  Roll Eyes
dackard
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 03:01:49 AM »

That was really amazing. Thank you for recording. I've just started learning Claire de Lune again and your recording will really come in handy. The only things I could suggest is that maybe think more horizontal in some sections and less vertical, this is more near the beginning. Make sure everything flows together like a river, seamlessly. The last part was fabulous. A little less heavy in the louder parts, maybe, but it's hard to tell if it was just my volume or what. A fabulous job, I wish my fingers were in such good shape!
instromp
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 08:54:48 PM »

Good job with your playing, i liked it, but the  only thing i have to say is keep your tempo at a steady pace.It seems to get a little "uneven" throughout  your recording.Other than that great job!

the metranome is my enemy
donjuan
PS Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 03:16:03 AM »

I think your fingers are too stiff in general, just from hearing the kind of sound produced.  Try to use more arm weight to make the arpeggios more of a flourish and less note-note-note-note-note.  Yes, you seem pretty precise, which is good, but remember that this is debussy.  You can bend the rules quite a bit here.  actually, if you dont bend the rules, it just doesnt work. 

Also, pedal is choppy at times; there is an abrupt silence when harmony changes. (mostly in the middle section)  I agree with dackard about trying to think more horizontally.  The last bit flows a bit better, however.
 Smiley
thanks for recording for the forum!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: