Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Debussy  (Read 6805 times)

Offline saraha

• PS Silver Member
Debussy
on: July 18, 2005, 02:06:02 AM
This is my attempt at playing Debussy's Claire de Lune. Your comments and observations would be greatly appreciated.

Offline goansongo

Re: Debussy
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 08:04:26 AM
The notes are coming around perfectly.  The only thing you need to work on is playing with more feeling.  It sounds really structured right now.  Maybe play with some rubato you know?  And vary the phrasing too!

Offline ryan2189

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 03:39:04 AM
agreeing with what goansongo siad, I still must say that you did an excellent kob. You inspired me to pick up this piece and play my heart out with it

Offline ryan2189

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 03:40:33 AM
forgot to check my spelling. those were supposed to be "said" and "job" I'm a kind of person to go back and fix something like that.  ::)

Offline dackard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 03:01:49 AM
That was really amazing. Thank you for recording. I've just started learning Claire de Lune again and your recording will really come in handy. The only things I could suggest is that maybe think more horizontal in some sections and less vertical, this is more near the beginning. Make sure everything flows together like a river, seamlessly. The last part was fabulous. A little less heavy in the louder parts, maybe, but it's hard to tell if it was just my volume or what. A fabulous job, I wish my fingers were in such good shape!

Offline instromp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 08:54:48 PM
Good job with your playing, i liked it, but the  only thing i have to say is keep your tempo at a steady pace.It seems to get a little "uneven" throughout  your recording.Other than that great job!
the metranome is my enemy

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 03:16:03 AM
I think your fingers are too stiff in general, just from hearing the kind of sound produced.  Try to use more arm weight to make the arpeggios more of a flourish and less note-note-note-note-note.  Yes, you seem pretty precise, which is good, but remember that this is debussy.  You can bend the rules quite a bit here.  actually, if you dont bend the rules, it just doesnt work. 

Also, pedal is choppy at times; there is an abrupt silence when harmony changes. (mostly in the middle section)  I agree with dackard about trying to think more horizontally.  The last bit flows a bit better, however.
 :)
thanks for recording for the forum!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert