Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Do your hands talk to you?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Do your hands talk to you?
on: July 21, 2005, 02:51:01 AM
Mine do.  Not with words of course.

I was sitting here and I noticed one I was moving my fourth finger back and forth because it felt right -- I didn't make it do that.  It just moved while I was focusing on the site.  The fourth finger wants a workout I guess.

I have also noticed my hands telling me other things -- Push us! We can move faster!    Or.... Stop playing, this hurts!

Over the years, I've learned to listen to what they say and I do a lot better with my practicing.

Does anyone else have this?   It's basically awareness of your body I suppose, but I think of it as my body communicating with me.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Nana_Ama

• PS Silver Member
Re: Do your hands talk to you?
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 02:59:43 AM
I belive, my brain talks to my hands...

:-X
I scare people; people scare me; it's a mutual thing!!!

Offline aqu01rius

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 03:07:15 AM
Yeah my hands talk to me..
It says "F*CKING PRACTISE PROPERLY" by messing me up .. lol
?A Q u ?1 R I U S [/url]
What you waiting for? =)

Offline alzado

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 09:19:00 PM
Question:  Hands talking--      I can think of one example.

When learning a piece that does not have specified fingering, I must very quickly -- after an initial play-through or two -- set one fingering that I plan to use.  Often I will pencil it in.

My hands need to have that "security."  If I finger certain measures differently each time, I will never get away from endless mistakes.  My fingers seem to be saying, "why can't this guy figure out what he WANTS from us?"

Hands are simple souls-- they seem to like to follow rules.  Gives them a sense of security, I guess.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert