Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin  (Read 1913 times)

Offline 3BKeys

• PS Silver Member
Chopin
on: July 14, 2003, 04:04:27 AM
Does anyone know the story behind the Chopin Revolutionary
Etude?

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 07:05:26 PM
Manchester United???......What???

As long as we're pulling legs, I should tell my story about the Prok 6th sonata.

The opus 10 etudes were composed as a set between the years @1828-1832. The popular story of op10#12 is it is supposed to represent the turbulent feelings Chopin experienced when news of the Warsaw uprising reached him on his way to Paris. There is, however, nothing to substantiate this, and many think he actually wrote the piece in 1832. As anyone who has read anything about this composer knows, he never gave any of his etudes the descriptive names some of them now have - "Winter Wind," "Ocean Roll," etc.

...not to mention his etudes called "Beckham Sent Packing to Madrid," or "Roy Keane Suspended."  ;)
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert