Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Is ice-cream the secret?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Is ice-cream the secret?
on: July 27, 2005, 12:38:36 PM
On Tuesday night, I went to a piano recital.  I only called the symphony on Monday to book my tickets, and was told that there weren't many tickets left.  I was also booking tickets for a piano recital next week, and was told there were even less tickets for that!

A few months ago, I read a review that said a piano recital had been sold out.

Last year, I turned up at a recital without booking, and found myself with a standing-room-only ticket.

Since when have solo piano recitals been sold-out events in Sydney?

So I turn up to the recital on Tuesday night, and wondered, especially during interval, why so many people are eating little tubs of ice-cream.  I'm quite used to seeing people holding a glass of wine or champagne, but ice-cream?  Then, I sat back down in the hall a bit before the second half began, and saw an usher walk past holding a tray, containing the little tubs of ice-cream, and she was selling them!!!

I'm not sure what effect serving ice-cream on a cold winter night has on the coughing, but could this be the reason that solo piano recitals seem to be getting more popular???

Offline luc

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is ice-cream the secret?
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 12:45:24 PM
LOL  ;D
OSMOSE NOW

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 05:06:05 PM
how in the world can a pianist concentrate with people licking ice-cream.  slurping, dripping, slopping.  it's not a circus, ok.  it's a piano recital.  oh well, whatever brings them in.  (what an insult).

if i had my druthers, i'd ruther serve it afterwards as a reward for those who listened. but, somehow champagne sounds more refined.  of course, you can't serve that to kids, so maybe both?! 
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 05:39:38 PM
but, somehow champagne sounds more refined. of course, you can't serve that to kids, so maybe both?!

mmm.. champagne floats

I would be alright with the ice cream idea, It is a pretty quiet thing to eat. Better then apples or speghetti.

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 09:28:48 PM
Heh, I like that. Indeed, ice cream is very quiet, unless someone's slurping the melted stuff at the bottom. And even that's not as loud (usually) as someone snoring, or caughing loudly, or rustling candy wrappers, or moving around perpetually in a squeaky chair...  :P
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline alzado

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 09:45:22 PM
Would go well if the orchestra were playing Vaughan-Williams' "Symphonia Antarctica."

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 12:04:12 AM
must have been over 90 today in pennsylvania.  started thinking about this thread, and agree to the ice cream idea.  it keeps people cool and not thinking about how hot it is.  i guess maybe australians are cool about reality.  (but who's going to clean the chairs?)
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 05:10:25 PM

I'm not sure what effect serving ice-cream on a cold winter night has on the coughing, but could this be the reason that solo piano recitals seem to be getting more popular???

next step: popcorn and coke!  ::)

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 09:31:22 PM
The ice-cream was in little tubs that you eat with a little plastic scoop, not in cones.

next step: popcorn and coke! ::)

I know - I'm a bit concerned we might start selling hotdogs, or meat pies and chips!!!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 09:40:56 PM
... selling hotdogs, or meat pies and chips!!!

Hey, don't knock it, this is my *dream* occupation now-a-days...   ;D

("momentarily" *giving up* on everything else having to do with concert halls)
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 06:09:57 AM
i love the ice cream it's the bomb!!!

are you talking about at the city recital hall, angel place?! cos i am an icecreamaholic there- conisseur (however it's spelt) is SO good!!

but as for selling hotdogs, meat pies, chips, etc.- at whereever it is in london where the english national ballet performs (can't remember what it's called!) they sell hot dogs, and i believe there were people eating popcorn too. meanwhile me and my sis are dressed up in our good going out clothes, and others are in jeans...

but the piano recitals at angel place do tend to be quite packed- especially lang lang's last year, i swear the entire asian population was there (no offence to the asians i didn't mean that in any offensive manner)
but i guess you have one night they're playing, and the whole piano population and random elites who think they're better than everyone else cos they're going to something 'cultured' all smased into the recital hall, which isn't overly huge, and you get a sold out concert...shame i wasn't there- who was playing? was that the beethoven sonatas?
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 10:43:53 AM
I haven't been to a concert for over thirty-five years (once you've slashed one seat you've slashed them all) but meat pies sound like good news. If they came in paper bags you could blow them up and burst them too. Drinks with straws are good , especially when you get to the bottom, and if you're right up at the back packets of Jaffas, blackballs or other spherical lollies which roll are always popular. And what about toasted sandwiches with plenty of baked beans and onions to give everybody sustenance during the slow movements. Better bring some magazines and comics in case the music turned out to be boring. A torch might come in handy too in case something dropped under the seat.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 11:25:44 AM
i love the ice cream it's the bomb!!!

are you talking about at the city recital hall, angel place?! cos i am an icecreamaholic there- conisseur (however it's spelt) is SO good!!

...shame i wasn't there- who was playing? was that the beethoven sonatas?

Yes, City Recital Hall - I haven't been to a concert for ages - haven't had time - and I go and find out they're now selling ice-cream!  It was such a shock.

I went to Giovanni Bellucci playing Thalberg and Liszt transcriptions.  I'm going next week to the Paul Lewis Beethoven sonatas recital, too.

ted, you're hilarious - I wonder what piano recitals will be like if this did happen?  I don't think it'd have much impact on a concert by a full orchestra - the sound can get pretty big so probably not many people would notice food and drink noises.  But there are some very quiet times in solo recitals.

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 06:02:40 AM
oh i quite liked paul lewis- saw him do beethoven's emporer concerto and it was nice. except he looks like he needs some sun...
i can just imagine, people in music recitals, with popcorn and chips, and slurping drinks, and making loud cheers at the end of each movement, or throwing popcorn at the pianist when he starts making dramatic facial expressions..
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 07:20:48 AM
Yes, City Recital Hall - I haven't been to a concert for ages - haven't had time - and I go and find out they're now selling ice-cream!  It was such a shock.

I went to Giovanni Bellucci playing Thalberg and Liszt transcriptions.  I'm going next week to the Paul Lewis Beethoven sonatas recital, too.

there was a recital of thalberg and liszt transcriptions??!! I would have come up to Sydney just to see it, if only I had known.  :'(

@tash: of course Lewis could use some sun he is english after all ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert