Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: NERVOUS  (Read 5510 times)

Offline piani0player

• PS Silver Member
NERVOUS
on: July 17, 2003, 07:24:31 AM
i going to a piano competition tomorrow but i still feel a bit nervous playing in front of people and that will affect my playing .what is best way to do or to think before and during the performance that will make me relase and calm when im performing?
please help me

thank you
"imagine a little shepherd who takes refuge in a peaceful grotto from an approaching storm.  In the distance rushes the wind and the rain, while the shepherd gently plays a melody on his flute."

Offline ThEmUsIcMaNBJ

• PS Silver Member
Re: NERVOUS
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 07:39:36 AM
I don't know if this helps anyone besides me, because in threads like this no one ever says it but I'll give it a go anyways...  CONCENTRATE!  If I just focus on the music and not worry about whos watching I do much better...  But how do you concentrate?  I don't really know...  Haha I concentrate on not being nervous...  Something I do when I'm nervous and playing, is crumple up my toes in my left shoe and get really tense.  I bite down and grind my teeth real hard and I play much worse.  Then in the middle of the piece I notice thats what I'm doing.  And then I just correct it; stop crumpling my toes and grinding my teeth, it relaxes me and I seem to play much better.  I don't know if anyone else does weird stuff like that when they're nervous but I sure do!

But really when you REALLY get into the piece I find it impossible to be nervous.  Because you're so INTO the music you can only think about one thing, THE MUSIC, go figure!  So actually for me personally I only get nervous at lessons!  For competitions and recitals I never get nervous because I'm so into it.  But at lessons obviously I'm still learning the piece so I can't get as into the music as I can with a piece I know very well.

Anyways I know I probably didn't help but I felt I had to respond to one of these maybe It'll help someone!  Good luck with the competition tell us about it!

Offline piani0player

• PS Silver Member
Re: NERVOUS
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 01:20:48 PM
thank you
 i didn"t win the competition,but i wasn't that nervous,
i just try to concentrate into  the music and enjoy what im doing .it works.
"imagine a little shepherd who takes refuge in a peaceful grotto from an approaching storm.  In the distance rushes the wind and the rain, while the shepherd gently plays a melody on his flute."

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert