Piano Forum

Topic: chopin opus 10 number 3  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Renee

• PS Silver Member
chopin opus 10 number 3
on: April 21, 2002, 04:56:49 AM
:o  I have just began to learn this piece and was wondering if anybody had any comments.I've tried to find a good recording of Chopin etudes but haven't had ant luck yet.let me know if any of you have found any

Offline Valour

• PS Silver Member
Re: chopin opus 10 number 3
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2002, 04:33:43 AM
Dear Renee,

The CD of Chopin Etudes by Nikolai Lugansky has received many good reviews and major awards. You can find out more about this disc at :

https://Lugansky.homestead.com/Score.html

Valour

Offline Martijn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2002, 01:38:12 AM
Dear Renee,

In my opinion, the Chopin studies are a bit easy. Of course, not all of them, but opus 10/3 is too easy. A more exciting version is Godowsky's arrangement for the left hand, no. 5 of the 53  studies on 26 etudes by Chopin.

You can download it at
https://www.geocities.com/alanchan1048576/mus/godowsky.html

Offline romanpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 10:47:49 PM
hi about the chopin etudes recording many pianist have recorded .I recommend vladimir ashkenazy and  italian pianist polini .YOU can try to find them .I think you can go to the amazon.com to find it .YOU just type key words chopin etudes you can see  lot of .Its not difficult . :)

Offline silyaznfoo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 02:47:15 AM
I'm considering learning it myself. Try pianosociety.com, they have some good recordings. Btw what is the hand range for this? Is one octave enough?

Offline dorfmouse

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 08:07:20 AM
In my opinion, the Chopin studies are a bit easy. Of course, not all of them, but opus 10/3 is too easy.

Ooh! Aren't you the clever one!!
"I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
W.B. Yeats

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 09:37:26 AM
Get the lugansky cd of chopin etudes, theyre my favourite.
Btw for Martijn: People who can actually decently play Chopin etudes, would never say the chopin etudes are easy, unless youre Frans Liszt himself. Dont expect people taking you serious from now....

Gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline the_duck

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 11:14:35 AM
Dear Renee,

In my opinion, the Chopin studies are a bit easy. Of course, not all of them, but opus 10/3 is too easy. A more exciting version is Godowsky's arrangement for the left hand, no. 5 of the 53  studies on 26 etudes by Chopin.

You can download it at

i really can't believe how often i hear this nonsense. it shocks me that anyone could even consider the Godawful arrangements music, let alone consider them to be better than the originals. i genuinely struggle to listen to one from beginning to end. it's just pointless meandering up and down the keyboard with the vague outline of a butchered chopin masterpiece hidden somewhere in the middle. and no one can even play the things. they sound incredibly laboured even from some of the supposedly best technicians (eg. hamelin and berezowsky). no doubt many will disagree with me here, but do any of you geuninely think that they SOUND good?!

and your specific comment about 10/3 being "too easy" and not "exciting" enough.... well it's a shame that Godowsky didn't make arrangements of the nocturnes as well (or maybe the slow movement of schubert's b flat sonata), as i'm sure he could have ramped up the difficulty and excitement factor no end.

Offline frederic chopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 04:27:06 PM
Lugansky's recording is the best of all the recordings of the Chopin Etudes that I have.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
♫ LTCL Piano Performance
♫ ABRSM Grade 8 Theory of Music (Distinction)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline bench warmer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 06:10:46 PM
Dear Renee,

...In my opinion, the Chopin studies are a bit easy. Of course, not all of them, but opus 10/3 is too easy...

Love the arrogance... Not even Liszt who played them at first reading said, " What ho Freddy, a tad easy for Etudes don't you think?"

Why not post your recordings of all the "easy Chopets" ?

How 'bout a few recordings of the "easier God-chopets" too.

Offline soliloquy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 06:48:29 PM
Pollini, Barere, Friedman

Offline christiaan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 08:58:35 AM
Murray Perahia`s recording of Chopin op. 10&25 are the best. And don`t forget about Maurizio Pollini! He is a beast!!

Offline jas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 10:56:24 AM
Dear Renee,

In my opinion, the Chopin studies are a bit easy. Of course, not all of them, but opus 10/3 is too easy.
Too esay for what? It's music.

Offline rockitman31

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 08:19:15 PM
Dear Renee,

In my opinion, the Chopin studies are a bit easy. Of course, not all of them, but opus 10/3 is too easy. A more exciting version is Godowsky's arrangement for the left hand, no. 5 of the 53  studies on 26 etudes by Chopin.

You can download it at

I read sh*t like this, and it makes me want to pregnant dog slap the arrogant poster.   Probably just some punk wannabe.

Let's hear your recordings of these easy etudes.  Please.   

Offline dnephi

Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 08:26:27 PM

I read sh*t like this, and it makes me want to pregnant dog slap the arrogant poster. Probably just some punk wannabe.

Let's hear your recordings of these easy etudes. Please.
Yea, let's pick on the guy 5 years after he posts it.  :rolleyes:

Chopin studies are very difficult, but the Godowsky studies are, in general, harder and more broad in technical exploration.

Regards,

Daniel
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert