Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Francesco Libetta  (Read 2116 times)

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Francesco Libetta
on: August 20, 2005, 03:14:26 PM
a phenomenal talent, i have 2 of his DVDs, and in particular the 'la roque d'antheron' DVD is the best piano DVD that i have, i have watched it innumberable times.

his name should be more well known, he has one of the best piano techniques EVER, and he is the true master of the chopin-godowsky studies.
his recordings and live performances of these works are generally(imo) superior(alot faster...) to hamelin's.

the most interesting quote ive seen about libetta is this one by bruno monsaingeon(who, i think, was the guy that made documentaries about legendary pianists like gould, richter etc.)
he simply said libetta is 'the greatest virtuoso in the world'(!!!)
thats some of the most insane praise ive ever seen, and from such an authority...

i also like these quotes(especially the 1st review ;))

"Fury, demonically charged and technically staggering. Here is big piano playing in its most unfettered and dangerous state. What a performance!" - Gramophone

"He takes his wonderful fingers for granted and he is a master of every period or style represented...the pieces sing. I have no hesitation calling him an important pianist.." - Harold Schonberg

https://www.miamipianofest.com/artists/libet.html

check out this link, the godowsky is astonishing, and the alkan phenomenal, but i think the saint-saens etude is just some of the best piano playing ive ever heard, i prefer his interpretation to both cortot and cziffra.

https://www.francescolibetta.it/

this is his website(hasnt been updated for a while..)

Offline maxy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Francesco Libetta
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 04:29:47 PM
yup yup, he is good.  Makes insanely hard pieces look quite easy

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 09:25:49 PM
Legendary.

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 09:55:29 PM
He's great, but I like Hamelin's Alkan better.

Offline da jake

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 11:44:58 PM
Libetta doesn't convince me.
"The best discourse upon music is silence" - Schumann

Offline joell12068

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 12:12:41 AM
Libetta's performance of the Strauss-Risler Till Eulenspeigel is my favorite.  How come nobody else plays this wonderful transcription ?

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 03:33:43 AM
Libetta's performance of the Strauss-Risler Till Eulenspeigel is my favorite.  How come nobody else plays this wonderful transcription ?

ive heard that the score doesnt exist...well it does, but only in hand written form and theres 1 copy

thats what i read somewhere

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 08:40:47 AM
Libetta doesn't convince me.
shameful 8)

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 02:32:09 PM
yeah, i can see why he can think that, some performances are quite dull and uninteresting.

when when hes on fire, hes on FIRE.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert