Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Anyone else do this??  (Read 2523 times)

Offline rich_galassini

• PS Silver Member
Anyone else do this??
on: April 21, 2002, 07:45:45 PM
OK,

Maybe I am a little weird, but if I wake up in the middle of the night (2 am or so) sometimes I go downstairs and play for awhile.

It works like a charm for me. Although sometimes I look at the clock and I have been playing for two hours!!

That doesn't make for an entirely alert work day in the morning ::)

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Philadelphia, Pa.
(215) 991-0834
Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, Pa.
215 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anyone else do this??
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2002, 10:18:03 PM
Well, it might be weird, but I used to do that, also, when I was in high school and living with my parents.  They were both sound sleepers, so it was always ok.  My husband is a very light sleeper, so I haven't played in the middle of the night in a couple of decades!  :-[

I actually miss "late night" piano.   :'(

So much music, so little time........

Offline Giselle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2002, 02:40:44 AM
:) I think love of midnight music comes with the territory!

Offline ClassicalPiano2002

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2002, 10:10:18 PM
i did that exact thing last night.  I couldn't sleep so i went downstairs and played for an hour and then went up to bed. And slept like a baby

Offline selsa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2002, 11:36:42 PM
Just curious, but don't you wake up people in the house, neighbors? I do that thing sometimes, but my piano is digital, I use the headphones. Can you (do you) use the headphones too or do you play as softly as you can. Or do you play in a sound-proof studio? Can you describe the situation?

-Selsa
"...the luckiest man I know." - Arthur Rubinstein about himself.

Offline 88keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 12:57:19 PM
I don't know about the others, but I have both an acoustic piano and a high-quality synthesizer. Whenever I want to play at night, I use the synth with headphones.

As for what the others do, we'll just have to wait for their response.

Offline markjpcs

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2002, 05:00:24 AM
With 3 children in the house and a very light sleeper for a spouse, I must use the Clavinova for late night piano.

I think I learn and remember difficult passages better at 1:00 am!

Mark

Offline rich_galassini

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2002, 09:39:05 PM
Mark,

I certainly play differently at that time, maybe not better, but differently! :D
Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, Pa.
215 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2003, 06:28:17 AM
I can't play at 2:00 a.m., but have played often at 11:00 or so.  It always seems as though I play better and my Baldwin grand sounds better late at night than, say, in the afternoon.  My best playing is definitely in the night.  So I know where you're coming from.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline Reoreo111

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 07:29:52 PM
I totally agree with you all!  Late night piano is soo fun.  When everything is quiet and everyone has settled down, you get some personal one on one time with your piano!  I also love dimming the lights a little and playing pieces which i've memorized.   It sounds just fabulous!  Some girls may even call it sexy/romantic!  ;D

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2003, 03:02:57 AM
Sometimes I get up extra early in the morning to practice, but usually I avoid this as I'm afraid it will wake up the neighbours!
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline Bosendorfer_214

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2003, 09:16:01 AM
I can't say that I get up in the middle of the night.  Both of my parents are sound sleepers, so when they go to bed I am still practising.  Sometimes I will practise until 2 am.  
Pianists are like firecrackers, they blow up sooner or later.

Offline Black_Key

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2003, 08:58:29 PM
I find playing late to be more peaceful in the day. It's easier for me to concentrate at night too - it's just me and the piano. As for playing when ppl are asleep, I just push down the practice pedal so that the noise is less.

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 02, 2003, 03:13:40 AM
yes. that's fun. i'll try that. but my mom is a light sleeper. well, i'll have to try on christmas eve. oh no. bad idea. i won't be heard anymore, with all the fireworks. i'de love to do it. especially playing a really lonely nocturne like chopin's nocturne in c#- would be great. i'de like to feel like a ghost sometimes.
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 02, 2003, 04:46:38 AM
My parents absolutely forbid any piano practice after 10 pm! :-/
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline Chiyo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: June 02, 2003, 07:45:41 AM

Yeah, I like late night playing. I can concentrate really well.

I got a digital piano, so it is even better  ;D

I love Chopin!

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 02, 2003, 12:36:51 PM
i'm not allowed after 9:00pm... i wish I live in a very musically inclined neighborhood so the neighbors don't complain when somebody plays...
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline TwinkleFingers

• PS Silver Member
anyone ever sleep walk to piano and start playing?
Reply #17 on: September 05, 2003, 07:55:26 PM
I woke up one night and found myself playing the Rach 3, you know where david helfgott looses his noodle and slams his head on the plywood floor.  
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert