Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Length of Concert/Recital pieces  (Read 1444 times)

Offline justliam

Length of Concert/Recital pieces
on: August 27, 2005, 03:14:37 PM
Hey I was just wondering, when I ever I've seen performances in general, pieces always tend to be between 20-1hr long and stuff like that. Does anyone know of performances where the pianist might give a performance of a duration say between 1 or 2 hours where most of the pieces are aruond 5 mins long?
\\\\\\\"That\\\\\\\'s not a gadget Michael, that\\\\\\\'s just monstrous use of a Biro.\\\\\\\"

Offline rapmasterb

• PS Silver Member
Re: Length of Concert/Recital pieces
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 05:01:49 PM
yeah sometimes they do a few themed groups of short pieces e.g chopin 4 impromptus, a group of nocturnes, or the studies, maybe gaspard be la nuit things like that. Oh yeah and goldberg wariations is 32 short pieces put together.

Offline justliam

Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 05:51:21 PM
Ok thanks, what about pieces like Clair de lune or something like that, could they just be played a set of Debussy works or at least Romantic works? I know its from a Suite but it still isn't long
\\\\\\\"That\\\\\\\'s not a gadget Michael, that\\\\\\\'s just monstrous use of a Biro.\\\\\\\"

Offline rapmasterb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 06:21:22 PM
In general thats not really the done thing. That kind of piece would be played as an encore unless it was played with the whole set.

Offline llamaman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 05:39:56 PM
Ok thanks, what about pieces like Clair de lune or something like that, could they just be played a set of Debussy works or at least Romantic works? I know its from a Suite but it still isn't long

If you know Clair de Lune, the others shouldn't be a problem.

You could also try pictures at an exhibition if you like modern music.

What about Schumann's Scenes from childhood? Thay are all rather short, and together would create a long enough performance.
Ahh llamas......is there anything they can't do?

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline justliam

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 06:27:01 PM
It's mainly becuase so far the pieces I know are like Clair de Lune and that's the stuff I like to play.  The pieces I hope to learn in the future are generally all 5 minute stand alone pieces as well, but there just doesn't seem to be anywhere for those kind of pieces to be played, and that's quite annoying. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert