Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Has anyone ever forgotten to eat?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline celticqt

• PS Silver Member
Has anyone ever forgotten to eat?
on: September 15, 2005, 06:38:52 PM
Or am I really losing it??? 

Yesterday I started working on this Schumann concerto and forgot to pick up my husband from work.  Today I played right through lunch and didn't realize it til my stomach started growling. 

My teacher said studying piano would change my life, but hopefully I will not turn into a forgetful ditz!  Is this normal? (whatever normal is)  :P
Beware the barrenness of a busy life. ~Socrates

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: Has anyone ever forgotten to eat?
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 06:57:37 PM
he he... yeah, I have done things like this.  Particularly when I was in school.  I was often showing up late to my classes because I was coming straight from my beloved practice room without a clue.  I have missed meals because of it, as well.

Anymore, however, my practises are quite planned and I set a timer for everything I do.  So, I do not lose track of time so much.  Though, sometimes I will decide to keep going and do more sessions, rather than stop for lunch.

It's how it is when one is really into anything, I suppose.

m1469  :)
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 08:00:28 PM
The hours certainly fly by when practising.

I have never forgotten to eat before, but once when engrossed with some Tausig, i forgot to go to bed.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 01:59:08 AM
my breakfast lunchand dinner are usually two hours behind schedule.  that's why i eat lettuce a lot throughout the day (to make up for not eating much).  lately i make meals out of those big sweet temptation trail mix containers.  i don't eat the container, but in a couple days all the nuts and m and m's are gone.  is this healthy?  i mean, to eat with lettuce?

Offline ada

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 07:02:01 AM
Forgetting to eat isn't my problem, it's forgetting to sleep. I work full time and have kids so I'm on the piano  till about midnight and back up at 5am. The time still flies.
Bach almost persuades me to be a Christian.
- Roger Fry, quoted in Virginia Woolf
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert