Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Les Adieux  (Read 2803 times)

Offline mycrabface

• PS Silver Member
Les Adieux
on: October 20, 2005, 10:05:59 AM
Has anyone ever tried sonata opus 81 a (aka Les Adieux)? I was just wondernig whether you're supposed to play the second part(allegro), bar 5 to bar12 using the pedal, because when I play the right hand part of it, it sounds terrible, like the notes aren't held long enough. But when I hold them longer, there's hardly enough time to jump to the next note(as my hand is very small). So what should I do?
La Campanella Freak

Offline sonatainfsharp

• PS Silver Member
Re: Les Adieux
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 04:55:47 PM
You certainly could use some pedal, but I wouldn't use so much that you lose the clarity. There are several simultaneous voices in this passage, and each voice needs to be articulated and voiced appropriately (i.e. holding the dotted quarters while the same hand plays the moving 8th notes).

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
Re: Les Adieux
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 01:07:11 PM
Good choice  :D
You either do or do not. There is no try- Yoda

Life is like a piano, what you get out of it depends on how you play it

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert