Poll

Who do you like more?

Gilels
10 (50%)
Richter
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Gilels or Richter?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Gilels or Richter?
on: November 02, 2005, 07:47:02 PM
Tough one i know....but I tend to like the Gilelsian style more ...only just though. What do you think?
Waste of time -- do not read signatures.

Offline mrchops10

• PS Silver Member
Re: Gilels or Richter?
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 09:09:25 PM
Do we have to keep comparing these two pianists? They have completely different styles, different reportoires, and different personalities. They did come from the same studio, but so did Schnabel and Friedman. Comparing them is pointless, even when Neuhaus so often did it. They are both great pianists.
"In the crystal of his harmony he gathered the tears of the Polish people strewn over the fields, and placed them as the diamond of beauty in the diadem of humanity." --The poet Norwid, on Chopin

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 10:16:13 PM
they are both great pianists.
I like them both but if to vote my vote give to Richter!
Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 01:27:03 AM
Do we have to keep comparing these two pianists? They have completely different styles, different reportoires, and different personalities. They did come from the same studio, but so did Schnabel and Friedman. Comparing them is pointless, even when Neuhaus so often did it. They are both great pianists.
Don't compare them ..i know they are different. Just give your own personal favourite.

Offline da jake

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 01:36:38 AM
Richter had real flashes of artistry, but I think Gilels was simply the better musician.
"The best discourse upon music is silence" - Schumann

Offline mrchops10

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 01:47:22 AM
Don't compare them ..i know they are different. Just give your own personal favourite.

How can you do this without comparing them?

And why always these two pianists? My point was, the comparison is cliched and not particularly useful.
"In the crystal of his harmony he gathered the tears of the Polish people strewn over the fields, and placed them as the diamond of beauty in the diadem of humanity." --The poet Norwid, on Chopin

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 02:46:59 AM
How can you do this without comparing them?
And why always these two pianists? My point was, the comparison is cliched and not particularly useful.
My purpose for this poll is to have an idea of the people's favourite. So, just close your eyes and think that if the same 2 pianists  played the same program same date same time, which one would you have gone to?

Offline bearzinthehood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 03:02:07 AM
My purpose for this poll is to have an idea of the people's favourite. So, just close your eyes and think that if the same 2 pianists  played the same program same date same time, which one would you have gone to?

Depends on the program.

Offline practicingnow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 03:23:06 AM
Gilels

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 04:59:18 AM
I think they are both extraordinary  :o but I feel that Gilels is  solid and dependable, while Richter, despite certain eccentricities and strangeness in his playing, sends the listener (well me, anyway) on a journey to places never known or thought of before. He is in my top 5 favorite pianists list for sure, some of his interpretations are questionable but the good ones are simply beyond the capacity or ability of almost all other instrumentalists. And this makes up for the bad performances, and there are a few, Schubert's Sonata in a minor op.42 for instance; I don't get what he was after there.... ::)

It's very interesting to compare Gilels' and Richter's recordings of the Brahms 2nd Concerto, it shows both of them at their best, and illuminates the differences between them.....
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 06:57:20 PM
Richterīs repertoire was bigger  and he was also the more flashy pianist of the 2.

It seems like Richter  liked to flash a lot but he rarely took the time study the pieces from a musical standpoint.

Comparing him to Hamelin who also loves to show off and has a huge repertoire, would make more sense to me.

Hamelin like Richter only plays a few pieces (in my opinion) with a musicallity that matches the technique.

In Hamelinīs case itīs Iberia and some of Alkanīs works and in Richterīs case it was Schumann.

Offline mrchops10

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 09:29:08 PM
It seems like Richter  liked to flash a lot but he rarely took the time study the pieces from a musical standpoint.

::) Have you heard his Schubert sonatas? Bach? Pictures at an Exhibition? He was one of the most brilliantly intellectual pianists of the 20th century. I have heard many fair and unfair critiques of him, but unmusical? Please.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert