Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Revolutionary Etude or Fantasie Impromtu  (Read 2928 times)

Offline prodigy1220

• PS Silver Member
Revolutionary Etude or Fantasie Impromtu
on: November 05, 2005, 05:51:11 PM
i've been playing piano for about 2 years now and im 13 and have an up coming recital. i wanted to know which song shuld i play.

don't tell me to pick an easier song either because im way better than you thing i am. i practice almost all day everyday and i ve started revolutionary etude and playing it, the right way is not as hard as i though

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Revolutionary Etude or Fantasie Impromtu
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 05:57:25 PM
Don't play either of them.

You are obviously way too good.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 05:57:40 PM
There are extremely few recordings of the Revolutionary Etude that really sound good if you ask me.

That´s the one I would pick as well.

There´s a good chance that an amateur could make a better recording of this piece then any pro has done.

Offline canardroti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 03:09:05 AM
If you think you can handle it, PLAY BOTH!
And if you're already starting to play the REvolutionary Etude, then that means you 've already made up your mind on what you wanted to play.

Good luck with your recital

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 09:03:02 AM
I play both, and i can safely say that the FI is not as difficult as the ETude, but then i have been playing the piano longer than you have walked on earth.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 04:34:10 PM
I say play both, but for your recital pick the one you like better. I personally prefer the FI, but that's subjective.
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline finn magnus

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 08:31:29 PM
I've played both, I think Revoultionary is cool and FI is so overplayed that almost normal peoble have heared it.  Is seems like you are a good pianist so if you master the etyde it could be a awesome result, just do something cool with it, promise me that.  ;D I think it could be difficult to make FI to your own when everybody has tried the same.

Offline nightmarecinema

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 11:20:32 PM
Just sit at the piano and have people stare in awe at the amazing pianist, who doesn't even need to demonstrate his extraordinary talent.

Offline rimv2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 02:27:15 AM
i've been playing piano for about 2 years now and im 13 and have an up coming recital. i wanted to know which song shuld i play.

don't tell me to pick an easier song either because im way better than you thing i am. i practice almost all day everyday and i ve started revolutionary etude and playing it, the right way is not as hard as i though

you are right Revolutionary is not that hard

but the FI is

So go with the revolutionary for the recital, but practice the hell out of the FI in your spare time 8)
(\_/)                     (\_/)      | |
(O.o)                   (o.O)   <(@)     
(>   )> Ironically[/url] <(   <)

Offline gorbee natcase

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 11:42:32 AM
I would go for the revolutionary but they both are great pieces and you can learn a lot of technique from both. As both have very different technical problems it wouldn't hurt to do both :)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)      What ever Bernhard said

Offline fliszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 11:55:29 AM

sure wonderkid i dont believe you... post a record

Offline brahmsian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 04:23:52 PM
Play a Schubert/Liszt song transcription instead of FI or Revolutionary. Better tunes IMO.
Chuck Norris didn't lose his virginity- he systematically tracked it down and destroyed it.

Offline prodigy1220

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 12, 2005, 04:19:07 PM
hey flistz, i don't give a care if you dont believe me. i swear,not to God, im am telling the truth. i would post a recording but i don't have that kind of equipment and my laptop is not even working.

Offline debussy symbolism

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 04:30:43 PM
Greetings.

I believe that you can play the pieces. I mean why not. Don't listen to discouragements for they only complicate the situation. Just a question, why is it that you pick these two pieces to play. There are tons of other pieces. Another question. Do you desire to play these pieces out of fame("I learned these in only 2 years of playing) or out of musical gnossos. If you desire to learn music I am sure there are other pieces that hold much musical and symbolical content such as a Debussy prelude Canope, or Des pas sur la neige. According to your level you should be able to play these. And one other question although it might not be my place to ask. You say that you play all day. What about school? And other activities. I am not questioning you I'm just questioning your post. I have etched these questions in this post just to learn more about you. Again I believe your level just please explain.

Best Wishes to all.

Offline finn magnus

Reply #14 on: November 12, 2005, 09:29:58 PM
In a way a actually think Fantasie Impromptu is a very diffcult piece. I think FI is hard to interpret. Especially the part in the middel.

Many people ask me "What piece is most difficult?" and I can never answer that question. The things that gets easy, gets difficult at some point. You can always go back and look for other directions.

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 03:18:33 AM

I played the revolutionary in a recital last year, and i suggest you pick it. It is very straigthforward, and I think it is easier on the nerves to perform, if you are stressed. Once you're started, you'll be okay. Anyway, as others said, you really should play both. And even WAY more if you practice all day everyday. Why not adding a complete beethoven sonata? And learning a complete program, adding some scarlatti sonata. I highly suggest you begin a piano concerto for the end of the year. If you're as good as I think you are, this goes without saying  ::)

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 13, 2005, 04:03:39 AM

Don't play either of them.

You are obviously way too good.
;D lmao ;D ;D

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 13, 2005, 04:20:15 AM

Calling a piece a song, shows you're way too good to tackle any of those, indeed.  ;D

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 13, 2005, 04:50:56 AM
Greetings.

As I said before don't listen to discouragements. For they do naught but...well...discourage. Attempting challengin pieces if good and if anyone tells that you shouldn't don't get discouraged. Do consider but don't get discouraged.

Best Wishes to all.

Offline rimv2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 13, 2005, 09:31:19 PM
Calling a piece a song, shows you're way too good to tackle any of those, indeed.  ;D

Song, piece, same thing ::)
(\_/)                     (\_/)      | |
(O.o)                   (o.O)   <(@)     
(>   )> Ironically[/url] <(   <)

Offline •ÇØM

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 02:22:39 AM
Song, piece, same thing ::)
So you are saying that pieces have words? :)
Now don't go all technical on me :)
"One of the marks of successful people is that they are action-orientated. One of the marks of average people is that they are talk-orientated" -Brian Tracey

Offline prodigy1220

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: November 18, 2005, 11:22:39 PM
just wondering should i practice 2 songs at a time or  should i master 1 then master the other

and if youre wondering why of all songs im playing these 2, well my teache r

recommended it and for fantasy impropmtu well i love to listen to classical music and i checked out a chopin cd and heard it and wanted to play it

i like many other songs such as rhapsody in blue and debussy's arabesque and schubert and rachmininoff' concertos and much more

p.s. is rach's concertos hard

Offline nightmarecinema

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 19, 2005, 02:14:37 AM
just wondering should i practice 2 songs at a time or  should i master 1 then master the other

and if youre wondering why of all songs im playing these 2, well my teache r

recommended it and for fantasy impropmtu well i love to listen to classical music and i checked out a chopin cd and heard it and wanted to play it

i like many other songs such as rhapsody in blue and debussy's arabesque and schubert and rachmininoff' concertos and much more

p.s. is rach's concertos hard

Could you be any more incoherent? I'm sorry, I can't reply to such an awfully written post.

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 19, 2005, 04:05:05 AM
Good luck with both of them, YOU CAN TRY ANYWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Music soothes the savage breast.
Paul Naud

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: November 19, 2005, 04:18:48 AM
I think I found the answer to your hesitation.
Try Liszt's TRANSCENDENTAL ETUDE No 4 in D minor (MAZEPPA)!!!
Music soothes the savage breast.
Paul Naud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: November 19, 2005, 07:35:22 AM
Greetings.

Aside from practicing these 2 pieces, do you practice other material too. I remember in your earlier post you said that you practice a lot of technical material. What other pieces do you play? Have you succesfully mastered the Clementi sonatinas, Mozart's "Facile" Sonate, Bach's little preludes and fugues, 2 and 3 part inventions and the Well-Tempered Clavier? Not to mention the etudes of Czerny, scales, arpeggios, chords. If you have then you have accomplished alot in 2 years, good for you.  :)

Best Wishes to all.

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: November 20, 2005, 04:56:17 AM
Just sit at the piano and have people stare in awe at the amazing pianist, who doesn't even need to demonstrate his extraordinary talent.

I love that!  I'm going to use that the next time my teacher asks me to perform, LOL! 
Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: November 20, 2005, 05:47:02 AM
Greetings.

Aside from practicing these 2 pieces, do you practice other material too. I remember in your earlier post you said that you practice a lot of technical material. What other pieces do you play? Have you succesfully mastered the Clementi sonatinas, Mozart's "Facile" Sonate, Bach's little preludes and fugues, 2 and 3 part inventions and the Well-Tempered Clavier? Not to mention the etudes of Czerny, scales, arpeggios, chords. If you have then you have accomplished alot in 2 years, good for you.  :)

Best Wishes to all.
this guy needs to talk to the prodigy a little more, methinks..

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: November 20, 2005, 08:29:57 AM
There is nothing wrong with attempting challenging pieces. However without an adequate preparation, it could be frustrating and take a large while. If you have the technical skill to succesfully play these pieces then go for it. If not then yes you could challenge yourself with them, but spend the majority of time working on current repertoire. More time spent on technique that is of your level, the better the improvement, rather then spending time working on much more difficult pieces. (Not questioning your skill level). There is a saying, "don't put the cart before the horse" however you will never know unless you try. Of course there is nothing wrong with trying to learn much difficult pieces, but the majority of time should be spend on your current literature (Still not questioning your skill level). However if you know that you are ready then go for it. :)

Best Wishes to all.

Offline sara81

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: November 20, 2005, 04:00:42 PM
13 years old and you play Revolutionary etude?!?!

Keep up the good work.
I would definetlly choose the etude..and not the Fantasie Impromtu.

But you have to be aware that Chopin's etudes are not Czerny's etudes.
Horowitz played Chopin's etudes for 10 years..and after that period he said that the etudes are finally good.
If an idea at first doesn't seem absurd,there is no hope for it.  Albert Einstein
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert