Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Certain trill's  (Read 1523 times)

Offline mwf

• PS Silver Member
Certain trill's
on: November 09, 2005, 03:16:25 PM
Hi there,

Can anyone help me i am a tad confused by some written out trills in a couple of pieces I have attempted recently. One example is in liszt's hungarian rhapsody no.2 where in the middle of the lassan part of the piece the right hand has to play trills in most likely 3,4 fingers whilest playing the melody with your thumb.

The score says the trills are 8 of those little semi-quavers to each melody note, but I have heard a recording where there sounds more to each beat as it were. So I was wondering if the notes written out meant just a representation of the trill to play and not the exact amount of notes that should be played.

A similar written out trill occurs in the cadenza for the grieg piano concerto first movement, all those smaller trill notes between the octaves, are they the exact amount of notes you should play? again I have heard a recording where there sounds like double the amount, which I hope is not what is intended because I have enough trouble with the written amount.

Thanks.