Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin 55-1, Nocturne in F minor...Advice?  (Read 8964 times)

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Chopin 55-1, Nocturne in F minor...Advice?
on: November 15, 2005, 05:00:51 PM
I've been struggling with the first half of the last page- the first 8 measures of 'Molto legato e stretto', where the RH plays the crazy triplets and the LH jumps with it. How should I practice this to get it up to speed and mastered within, say, 2 months?

Phil

Offline westley

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin 55-1, Nocturne in F minor...Advice?
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 10:43:58 PM
First you should decide on fingering for the RH.  this can be a little tricky in this section because there are a lot of possibilities, but just remember that  itis probably more important at first to pick one and stick with it for awhile, even if its not perfect.  Its not hard to change fingering when you already know a passage.  If you are really stumped i'm sure your teacher could help you. 

As for the LH leaps, they are really not any more difficult than those in the first half of the piece, so i'm guessing your real difficulty is the coordination of the hands.  Once you have a fingering for the right hand (found while playing the RH alone of course) you should play hands together as slowly as is necessary to play it right.  You can always play the left hand alone too which will help you memorize it.  Still, if your problem is coordination of the hands most practicing should be hands together. I doubt that it will take you two months if you practice carefully and correctly.

One last possibility i could think of is that if you refer to the right hand triplets as "crazy" there is a good chance you are trying to play them too fast or with the wrong articulation . . . nothing in the coda should sound crazy, despite the accelerando the piece is really just floating away at this point, so the right hand should be very light and legato.  Thats my interpretation anyway, some (excellent) pianists see it differently.

I hope some of that was helpful . . . Maria Joao Pires made my favorite recording of this nocturne  so you may want to dig that up somewhere.

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin 55-1, Nocturne in F minor...Advice?
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 04:18:06 AM
I already know how to play the RH alone up to spped. You're right, the problem is the co-ordination of the hands.

I refer to them as 'crazy' because they do not follow a very specific pattern and thus were a little more challenging to learn. I'll try the 'floating' technique you mentioned- maybe that'll help.

Phil

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert