Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's Revolutionary Etude  (Read 9163 times)

Offline xenon

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's Revolutionary Etude
on: September 08, 2003, 03:53:36 AM
I was wondering if I could get a good indication of which tempo is appropriate for this etude.  There are many "conflicting" speeds, and I would like to know what is suitable.

My edition (Paderewski) indicates 160 to the quarter note.  One person I consulted with had an edition that stated 152 to the quarter note.  I have a very good recording that starts off at 144, but as it progresses, it descends in tempo down to 132 to the quarter.

I was wondering from people who have performed this before, what they felt regarding the tempo.

Thanks

-Xenon
You can't spell "Bach" without "ach"
-Xenon

Offline TwinkleFingers

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Revolutionary Etude
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2003, 05:05:06 PM
im practicing that one too!  a little above my skill but fun and showy!!  about the tempo.  Music is meant to be expressed by the way you feel.  This piece should be played when your full of fire and passion:)
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2003, 07:11:50 PM
The problem with extremely fast playing is that you loose some of the beauty of the piece. It becomes notes jumbled together. The piece is fast, but make sure you keep the RH chords distinct, sharp, and seperate from each other.

boliverallmon

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2003, 08:06:21 PM
I was wondering if I could get a good indication of which tempo is appropriate for this etude.  There are many "conflicting" speeds, and I would like to know what is suitable.

My edition (Paderewski) indicates 160 to the quarter note.  One person I consulted with had an edition that stated 152 to the quarter note.  I have a very good recording that starts off at 144, but as it progresses, it descends in tempo down to 132 to the quarter.

I was wondering from people who have performed this before, what they felt regarding the tempo.

Thanks

-Xenon

The crucial point regarding tempo in this piece is the meter.  Most editions incorrectly have it in 4, when it is actually in cut time.  
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline xenon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 04:24:18 PM
TwinkleFingers> Allegro con Fuoco, I like it!

BoliverAllmon> Ah, good point.  I just had my piano lesson yesterday and my teacher went over some techniques for creating the LH to be more linear and fluid.  It is true that the 16th note figures do take away from the RH.  This piece sounds really good on big pianos!

Thracozaag> Cut time?  Wow, my edition (Paderewski) is also in common time.  :P

I would just like to know any threshold of tempo that  would be suitable.

Thanks

-Xenon
-Xenon

Offline TwinkleFingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 04:34:47 PM
of course which song wouldn't you like to be played on a big piano? :)
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 05:43:46 PM

The crucial point regarding tempo in this piece is the meter.  Most editions incorrectly have it in 4, when it is actually in cut time.  

I believe you're correct. The Henle Urtext edition has the meter as 2/2, with the tempo marking 76 to the half note.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline xenon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 07:45:10 AM
76 to the half note is in the Urtext?  Well, that equates to 152 to the quarter, so I guess that is roughly on par with previous guesses.

Well, Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Xenon
-Xenon

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2003, 02:52:14 PM
The edition I have has it 144 to the quarter. The thing to strive for is to have the LH so fast and moving that it sounds like a tide rushing in louder, then leaving softer. The RH should stay crisp the entire time.

boliver

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 05:22:31 PM
76 to the half note is in the Urtext?  Well, that equates to 152 to the quarter, so I guess that is roughly on par with previous guesses.

Well, Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Xenon

As I stated before, metronome markings aren't the crux of the issue, it must be felt in two, not four.
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline ned

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2003, 11:40:53 PM
Tharcozaag:
Please help me out with this question.
Is 4 incorrect for the Revolutionary?

I looked at the Henle to see what the editors did in attempting to reconcile differences in the manuscripts, first editions etc. Surprisingly, several of the etudes in op 10, in addition to the Revolutionary, were written in 2 (alla breve) in Chopin's first manuscripts, namely no's 1,2,4 and 8, but these were all changed to 4 in the first editions and subsequent editions. Henle did not go back to the manuscript 2 time for no's 1,2,4,and 8 but did adopt 2 for the Revolutionary. The Henle editorial notes give no reason for that decision.  Why 2 in the Revolutionary but not in no 1, which strikes me as potentially alla breve. What is the better reading?
Ned

Offline ibanny1000

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 07:03:31 AM
Um guys i just want to ask whats an edition? does that mean there are different types of revolutionary etude?  :) :) :)

Offline aslanov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 06:25:08 PM
What's the deal with people obsessing over indicated speeds, like those c (croquet? id unno wat they're called) markings, for like every half/ or whole/ or quarter note.  The tempo says Allegro con Fuoco, from my experience of listening to many many recordings, the rest is a matter of how you feel a certain speed expresses whatever you want to say at that point in time.

Offline mlbbaseball

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 01:29:09 AM
Ashkenazy plays this so well!
Bach: Toccata BWV 914
Beethoven: Sonata op. 57
Liszt: HR 12
Rachmaninoff: Prelude op. 32 no. 12
Prokofiev: Suggestion Diabolique
Liszt: La Campanella
Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto no. 2, op. 18

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 01:49:25 AM
OBVIOUSLY. AS. FAST. AS. HUMANLY. POSSIBLE.
/troll

In all seriousness though, I would like to ask Mr. Attwood, perhaps to elaborate on playing the piece in cut-time.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline destinysora

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 08:10:55 AM
sorry its irrelevant but are you supposed to use pedal in this etude?

Offline max747

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 06:35:47 AM
Peadal usage should be some but not too much
Seattle International piano festival search it up on google
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert