Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff's hand span  (Read 89829 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninoff's hand span
on: November 23, 2005, 01:48:56 AM
Anyone know exactly what it was?

And have a source to cite?

Thanks
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline jamie_liszt

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninoff's hand span
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 02:38:35 AM
Hmm i heard somewhere he could stretch like from C to A (13th) but im not 100% sure, i seen it on a website somewhere, not sure if its true!

ill post up a website with it if i find it..

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 02:50:59 AM
I'm looking for something authentic, researched, as concrete and verifiable as possible --> scholarly.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline jamie_liszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 02:54:47 AM
Big Libraries usually have alot of books about composers, you could get one with rachmaninov in it, it would have alot of information and probably his hand span, would be better then a website you cant trust..

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 02:59:41 PM
Rachmaninoff had huge hands and could reach a 12th...  C - G'.

Thats factual knowledge.

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 09:16:40 PM

To be fair, a 12th isnt THAT big. I know loads of people (non musicians) that I reckon could reach that.

I have a black friend who does have HOOOOGE hands. I reckon he could piss a 13th.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 09:53:18 PM
According to the Guiness Book of Musical records, Rach could play a left hand chord of C E Flat G C G. It is one thing to play a 12th but another thing to play a 5 finger chord.

I would suggest therefore that he could play a 13th.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 06:26:01 PM
According to the Guiness Book of Musical records, Rach could play a left hand chord of C E Flat G C G. It is one thing to play a 12th but another thing to play a 5 finger chord.

Thats very true. Reaching an interval, and playing three voices between said interval are VERY different things.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 07:33:11 PM

Am not too far from the world record.            Check this out       C + Eflat + G + C + E and F.
And i have small hands.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 08:05:01 PM

zheer,

How can you have small hands if you can reach that chord? I assume you are jesting, right?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 08:55:10 PM
Am not too far from the world record.            Check this out       C + Eflat + G + C + E and F.
And i have small hands.

Henselt could reach this chord and he had small hands too.

Apparantly they were very elastic.
Curator/Director

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 09:36:25 PM
zheer,

How can you have small hands if you can reach that chord? I assume you are jesting, right?
No really i have small thin hands, i can reach that chord with my left hand because am double jointed.

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 07:15:59 PM

Shoot, you must be!

My hands are pretty average. I can reach most chords Iv encountered, but whether I could hit them in a pieces is quite another question. The only way I could play that C-F chord would be if I broke all of my fingers!

Offline kaveh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 04:25:55 PM
On a related note-

Is there documented evidence of Chopin's hand size/span??

I saw a photo of a plaster cast of his hands inside the front cover of a Chopin anthology, and they look eerily similar to mine.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 08:11:29 PM

I don't think he had a large span.

He once complained that Thalberg took 10th's easier than he could take octaves.

I read an article on one of his concerts once. The writer said his hands were very elastic and would suddenly expand and cover half the piano.
Curator/Director

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 08:16:40 PM

I don't think he had a large span.

He once complained that Thalberg took 10th's easier than he could take octaves.

I read an article on one of his concerts once. The writer said his hands were very elastic and would suddenly expand and cover half the piano.

Thanks for that.

Offline kaveh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2005, 09:35:29 PM
That's exacly the picture I was talking about.

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 27, 2005, 10:03:21 PM

I believe that Chopin had small, but particularly flexible hands (and wrists). Infact, it seems much of his 'stretchy' music is more an exercise of the wrist than of the hand itself (like Etude 1, Op 10).

Rachmaninov on the other hand (no pun intended) makes me want to cry! His music is above my level at the moment, but Iv looked at a few of his scores - some of the chords look crazy!

But purely out of curiosity, I would love to compare hands with some of the greats.

Offline Jacey1973

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 27, 2005, 11:12:46 PM
I remember finding this web page (someone may have given the link on this website - but i can't find this site anymore  :(), where there were pictures of the casts of Beethoven's and Chopin's hands:

I'm not sure which is which but reckon Beethoven's on the left and Chopin's on the right - because i remember reading this book written by Edwin Fischer on the Beethoven piano sonatas once and he said how people with "short stubby fingers" and "fleshy hands" were more suited to playing Beethoven - as his own hands were like this and people with "long, slender fingers", were more suited to playing more fiddly music like Chopin's - as he had hands like this. I'm not sure if i'd agree with that though!

and Rachmaninov's:

Just thought i'd post them!
"Mozart makes you believe in God - it cannot be by chance that such a phenomenon arrives into this world and then passes after 36 yrs, leaving behind such an unbounded no. of unparalled masterpieces"

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 02:06:27 AM
pianos had smaller keys back in chopin's time, things were easier, and he probably would find it extremely difficult, and even impossible in some cases, to play his own music on a modern piano.

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 07:07:14 PM

to be honest i can take C Eb G C G with my LH (not RH)!
Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: December 02, 2005, 09:29:57 PM
"An upright made by Hawkins in 1803 had a five and a half octave keyboard F to F octave span, 158 mm, and no pedals, just knee stops. Muller's upright of the same period had five octaves running from first octave E. Between 1803 and 1816 Beethoven owned an Erard which allowed him to reach from sixth octave F to seventh octave C."

https://www.uk-piano.org/history/compass.html

By the sounds of that, old Beethoven would probably give Rach a run for this money! Unless Im very much mistaken that is a 12th, is it not? I know its slightly smaller keys than today, but only a few mil.

Offline jas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: December 04, 2005, 02:28:42 PM
I don't know what his handspan is, but there's a theory that he may have had Marfan's syndrome (some think Paganini had it, too). It's in Geoffrey Norris's "Rachmaninoff" from the Master Musicians series.

Jas

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 08:03:33 PM
probably they were fairly big, look at his preludes they are barely suited to people with small hands! The only ones that are fine for me are Op.32 No5 and 12.
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 08:29:50 PM
My hands are big.  And flexible.

Offline cmg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 09:21:09 PM
My hands are big.  And flexible.

You tell 'em, blintz.
Current repertoire:  "Come to Jesus" (in whole-notes)

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 09:42:10 PM
You tell 'em, blintz.

LOL....I'll have to take a picture.

Offline gerry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 06:29:14 PM
There was a story floating around years ago that audience members would note that Horowitz, when taking a bow, would set his left hand on the piano above the keyboard so that the fingers would drape over the "Steinway" logo. I'm sure you readers will run to your Steinways and measure whether or not this was possible--perhaps this is just one of those urban legends. On the Bosey, the logo is about 10" below the top edge.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den, der heimlich lauschet.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 06:38:32 PM
I've only ever heard he is in the Guiness Book of World Records from this forum...  I went to their website and did a search of Rachmaninoff and Rachmaninov and found nothing.  Where is the proof of this?
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 08:52:04 PM
I doubt there was even a Guiness Book of World Records at that time
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 05:16:54 AM
I've only ever heard he is in the Guiness Book of World Records from this forum...  I went to their website and did a search of Rachmaninoff and Rachmaninov and found nothing.  Where is the proof of this?

I have a Guiness book from the early nineties and it said that Rachmaninov could reach C, Eb,G and C and G(12:th) with his left hand alone

They said it was a world record but I can guarantee that the worlds tallest man can beat that easily

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 05:43:30 AM
I've always had a fascination with the worlds tallest man, Robert Pershing Wadlow. I can't find the info on the site, but I remember reading somewhere that the distance between the tip of his index finger and his wrist was over 13 inches. This site has a video about him as well as some pictures and some info. They do mention his hands:

https://www.maniacworld.com/worlds_tallest_man.htm

He was nearly 9 feet tall, and it's really a sad story. :(
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline bach_rach_and_roll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 11:10:58 PM
Ah, the Rach argument to end all Rach arguments... awhile ago, someone said they are double jointed and for that reason they could reach a larger span, close to Rach's. Someone else said Beethoven's hands were stubby with fleshy hands... the first statement I challenge: every one of my fingers and both of my thumbs are double jointed and I can barely span a 9th with that added advantage. I find that when I play octaves with harmonic voices within (like a simple triad with the octave added) repeatedly (for example, if I read through any of Rach's pieces) my fingers get stuck in their double jointed positions and become extremely painful. As for the Beethoven comment... this explains why his music is easy for me. Being very Russian, I have peasant-stock hands with stubby fingers and fleshy palms... they look a lot like that cast, actually. However, I still have to drop notes from some of his pieces and when I play through Appassionata or the third movement of the Moonlight alone, I have the same problems I get with Rach's music: painful double joints.

I'd like to know how the other double jointed one manages to use it to his advantage instead of experiencing the pain I do (I can only practice my repertoire for 45 minutes at a time to avoid injury)

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 08:14:58 AM

I myself can play C E G C F (or touch that G but messing the chord) and dont have that big hands. More a matter of stretch i suppose. I dont think Rachmaninov's hands were that extreme.
1+1=11

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 05:24:22 PM
I don't care what anyone says.  You have larger then normal hands.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 12:39:51 PM
I don't care what anyone says.  You have larger then normal hands.

Maybe, i'm 1,91 tall and i suppose thats also taller than average, but still people are insinuating that rachmaninov had extreme stretch/hands, wich isnt true. I actually know quite a few musicians who can reach that C-G.
1+1=11

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 04:02:36 PM
I myself can play C E G C F (or touch that G but messing the chord) and dont have that big hands. More a matter of stretch i suppose. I dont think Rachmaninov's hands were that extreme.

well sorry for a stupid question  :-[  but does that mean you play all those notes at the same time?  :o or one after another?  :-\

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 04:10:33 PM
well sorry for a stupid question  :-[  but does that mean you play all those notes at the same time?  :o or one after another?  :-\

at  ::) ??? 8) the same time  ::) ;D 8) (without blurring other notes ofcourse)
1+1=11

Offline wert718

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 05:52:32 PM
I actually know quite a few musicians who can reach that C-G.

I'm 5'10 and can reach the C-G chord too.  :P
John 3:16

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 07:11:44 PM
well that's really A LOT!!!!!  :o I'm sure I won't ever be able to reach that!!  ::)  ::) even though I have really long fingers!  ::) oh well  :P
(i wonder how much you're supposed to reach at 11 or 12  :-\ )

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: July 23, 2010, 07:54:28 PM
well that's really A LOT!!!!!  :o I'm sure I won't ever be able to reach that!!  ::)  ::) even though I have really long fingers!  ::) oh well  :P
(i wonder how much you're supposed to reach at 11 or 12  :-\ )

Stretch is most important i think. If i stretch my hand, my thumb and pinky are on one line wich causes me to have a relatively wide reach. People with long fingers but with small hands and not that stretch cant get that far i suppose.
1+1=11

Offline wert718

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: July 23, 2010, 09:12:30 PM
Stretch is most important i think.

Quite right. I can reach a ninth with my first and second fingers.
John 3:16

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: July 24, 2010, 06:20:08 AM
OMG!

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: July 24, 2010, 07:20:26 PM
Stretch is most important i think. If i stretch my hand, my thumb and pinky are on one line wich causes me to have a relatively wide reach. People with long fingers but with small hands and not that stretch cant get that far i suppose.

I can stretch my hand so that my thumb and pinky are on one line too :) other people can't do that? and also my thumb and all other fingers can be on one line :) but my pinky is kinda short :) all other fingers are long but my pinky is short, looks funny  :D

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: July 24, 2010, 08:19:59 PM

So could I, but i would have to cut them off first.

That is pretty massive Wert.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: July 25, 2010, 06:42:22 PM
But I can reach almost the same with my first and second finger as with my first and fifth finger (or  third or 4th one) :-\ that's about an octave, except with first and second finger it's kinda hard not to press the keys next to the ones I want to press  :P and with my first and 5th finger I can kinda reach one more than an octave (that's a ninth right?  :-\ ) but it's hard not to press other keys (next to the ones I want to press). Sooo maybe in a few years I'll reach a ninth with my first and second finger too  :P  :)  8) and with others a tenth or something  :)

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: July 25, 2010, 10:47:03 PM

You mean actually a 9th with your first and second fingers....?   :o
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: July 26, 2010, 07:41:02 AM
You mean actually a 9th with your first and second fingers....?   :o

I can hit the tenth with thumb and second finger although i'd press the 9th too ;)
Cant say thats really useful for playing the piano though.
1+1=11

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: July 26, 2010, 07:57:22 AM
I think we have a couple of freaks from the side show here.  :o

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: July 26, 2010, 02:12:00 PM
I can hit the tenth with thumb and second finger although i'd press the 9th too ;)
Cant say thats really useful for playing the piano though.

Well yes I can hit an octave with my thumb and second finger but I usually press the 7th (or how is it called) too  :) but in a few years...  :P I'll be maybe a freak from the side show too  ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert