Piano Forum

“Piano Dreams” - Exploring the Chinese Piano Explosion
The motivations for learning the piano are diverse, ranging from personal enjoyment to cultural appreciation and professional aspirations. While some see it as a way to connect with cultural heritage, others pursue it as a path to fame and fortune. In the movie “Piano Dreams” director Gary Lennon documents the struggles and sacrifices of three wannabe piano stars in modern China. Read more >>

Topic: Favorite Mozart Sonata  (Read 6121 times)

Offline contrapunctus

• PS Silver Member
Favorite Mozart Sonata
on: December 16, 2005, 03:50:45 AM
My favorite is K. 283 for its beautiful first novement and its Beethoven-esque third movement. What is your's and why?

P.S.  Mozart only completed one fugue for solo piano: K. 394. It is great, I recommend it to everyone. (it is bound with a prelude or fantasy)
Medtner, man.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 04:08:49 AM
Well mine is currently K457, sonata in C minor.  I enjoy it because it is absolutely brilliant writing, in my opinion. 

And, I have recently become fond of K 576 in D Major (after mig's post in the Audition room).

m1469  :)  *goes to play through her long-standing, as well as her new Mozart love*
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline mrchops10

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 04:17:31 AM
P.S.  Mozart only completed one fugue for solo piano: K. 394. It is great, I recommend it to everyone. (it is bound with a prelude or fantasy)

Well, he also has a fugue-like passage in the 3rd mov't of K533 (F major). This is a great sonata. I am currently working on the a minor (K310), which I have loved for many years. I agree about the c minor sonata too, particularly when it is performed with the fantasy as well.
"In the crystal of his harmony he gathered the tears of the Polish people strewn over the fields, and placed them as the diamond of beauty in the diadem of humanity." --The poet Norwid, on Chopin

Offline kreso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 06:31:02 AM
My favourite Mozart's Sonata is Sonata in D-major KV.284.
It is probably one of the most difficult of all sonatas, because it is tecnicaly very tricky and musicaly not os easy. I like specialy the last movment-Theme with variations.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 07:57:48 AM
D Major K.311. Not the most complex or sophisticated but I enjoy it's directness and straightforward nature. I think it's always been my favorite.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline pianalex

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 08:19:07 AM
agreed k311 is delicious, like a mini concerto. and the difference between playing it, and playing it well, is huge.  both minor key works r fab.  also fond of the gentle lyricism of k333.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 08:29:45 AM
agreed k311 is delicious, like a mini concerto. and the difference between playing it, and playing it well, is huge.  both minor key works r fab.  also fond of the gentle lyricism of k333.

Hey you are right! It is like a mini concerto. And it is very difficult to play well.

K.333 has always annoyed me, I find it insipid. Maybe I've just heard too many insipid performances. I will reevaluate it, everyone likes it but me.... ???
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline eduard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 01:39:54 PM
My favourite is KV. 284 and KV. 310.

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 03:02:35 PM

k330 8)
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline e60m5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 03:47:08 PM
k.310, k.330, k.331, k.545

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 04:01:28 PM
All of them, apart from one. Man if you can master all the Mozart sonatas you will get my rispect.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 04:14:50 PM
All of them, apart from one.

And that one is...?
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 04:35:29 PM
K. 533 in f major
Waste of time -- do not read signatures.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 04:49:16 PM
KV 570 in B-flat

it represents, to me, the mature mozart.  it is not too light and not too heavy and probably very difficult to play well (i haven't played it yet).  the second movement reminds me of some german song (maybe beethoven's liebenwold? or something like that) that i can't remember right now - (can anyone help?) and, the last movement is delicious. 

listen to uchida on amazon a little and she's pretty good, but overall i like murray perahia's mozart.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 05:07:06 PM
K. 533 in f major

Haw the F*** did you know that. Yes i dont like K. 533. I have sight read throgh them all except that one.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline fishy92

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 11:31:40 PM
K.331 3rd Movement "Turkish March" Like it cause I can play it.  ;D

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 11:46:25 PM
I prefer Clementi. ;D
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline dauber

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 05:35:50 PM
Mine is K.331.  It was the first piece that I ever played by Mozart.

Offline lisztisforkids

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: December 17, 2005, 08:12:47 PM
I prefer Clementi. ;D

You got good taste. Have you heard Op. 40 no 2? Its absolutley wickedley good. No wonder Mozart hated Clementi. He was jealous!
we make God in mans image

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: December 17, 2005, 09:44:47 PM
You got good taste. Have you heard Op. 40 no 2? Its absolutley wickedley good. No wonder Mozart hated Clementi. He was jealous!

Not heard that one yet, but i intend to.

I have heard about 6 of them so far (played one) and i honestly feel that they are superior to Mozart.

I am probably in the minority.
Curator/Director

Offline lisztisforkids

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: December 18, 2005, 01:00:51 AM
Not heard that one yet, but i intend to.

I have heard about 6 of them so far (played one) and i honestly feel that they are superior to Mozart.

I am probably in the minority.

You can count me in the minority then! Clementi is unfairley underated. Which one have you played? I am currently working on op. 25 no 5. Most wonderful. I once heard that Mozart's sonatas were written to teach. I feel that Clemetis sonatas are vivid expressions, more so than much of Mozarts.

I will start  new topic on this.
we make God in mans image

Offline pianalex

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: December 18, 2005, 09:03:50 AM
where does haydn come in the clementi/mozart play off?  c is charming - but did he ever really approach k310, for example

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: December 18, 2005, 11:06:32 AM
You can count me in the minority then! Clementi is unfairley underated. Which one have you played? I am currently working on op. 25 no 5. Most wonderful. I once heard that Mozart's sonatas were written to teach. I feel that Clemetis sonatas are vivid expressions, more so than much of Mozarts.

I will start  new topic on this.

Same one as me.

Horowitz has got a lot to answer for.
Curator/Director

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: December 18, 2005, 10:03:22 PM
Same one as me.

Horowitz has got a lot to answer for.

Horowitz has to answer for what? He's the best thing that ever happened to Clementi. I mentioned this in another thread last summer. Everything Horowitz touched that was outside of the standard repertoire, i.e. Scriabin and Scarlatti became part of the standard repertoire, EXCEPT Clementi. I wonder why? I enjoy the two Sonatas mentioned above. With an advocate like Horowitz it's hard to go wrong. And yet, Clementi has not caught on, with pianists OR the public. I believe I know why. He has great ideas, but his development of them never measures up, in most cases. Take that b minor one, op.40 #2 I think. I will play this Sonata someday after I've completed several other things on my to do list. BUT, it's development section will show you that while he can write a beautiful melody and a powerful theme, and it is all very beautifully layed out for the piano and flashy, as a composer HE DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO REALLY DEVELOP HIS MATERIAL.  He merely reiterates the themes (they are wonderful) and clumsily slinks through the related keys, with some really badly prepared modulations. And yet there is something there, although it is flawed and imperfectly realized. The f# minor Sonata on the other hand has an ingenious development section. I guess Clementi is the precursor of Liszt, besides being extraordinary pianists they are both brilliant innovaters and write beautiful material, but their output is uneven, compared to Mozart, Chopin, Brahms and Beethoven, these cats KNEW how to shape their material into a real structure that can withstand changing times and changing tastes. Clementi and Liszt, it seems they get it right by chance every few pieces. Perhaps (and Liszt evantually did this and wrote truly great music, instead of becoming a piano maker) Clementi should have spent more time at his writing desk and less time at the piano.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline Jacey1973

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: December 18, 2005, 11:08:58 PM
Oh i have so many favourites! How can i choose? Ok, well currently my favourite is the F major K332...But i also love K330, K457 and K576.
"Mozart makes you believe in God - it cannot be by chance that such a phenomenon arrives into this world and then passes after 36 yrs, leaving behind such an unbounded no. of unparalled masterpieces"

Offline burstroman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: December 23, 2005, 12:06:43 AM
I like Haydn, Mozart, and Clementi sonatas.  Don't limit yourself.

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: December 23, 2005, 01:13:52 AM
Horowitz has to answer for what? He's the best thing that ever happened to Clementi. I mentioned this in another thread last summer. Everything Horowitz touched that was outside of the standard repertoire, i.e. Scriabin and Scarlatti became part of the standard repertoire, EXCEPT Clementi. I wonder why? I enjoy the two Sonatas mentioned above. With an advocate like Horowitz it's hard to go wrong. And yet, Clementi has not caught on, with pianists OR the public. I believe I know why. He has great ideas, but his development of them never measures up, in most cases. Take that b minor one, op.40 #2 I think. I will play this Sonata someday after I've completed several other things on my to do list. BUT, it's development section will show you that while he can write a beautiful melody and a powerful theme, and it is all very beautifully layed out for the piano and flashy, as a composer HE DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO REALLY DEVELOP HIS MATERIAL.  He merely reiterates the themes (they are wonderful) and clumsily slinks through the related keys, with some really badly prepared modulations. And yet there is something there, although it is flawed and imperfectly realized. The f# minor Sonata on the other hand has an ingenious development section. I guess Clementi is the precursor of Liszt, besides being extraordinary pianists they are both brilliant innovaters and write beautiful material, but their output is uneven, compared to Mozart, Chopin, Brahms and Beethoven, these cats KNEW how to shape their material into a real structure that can withstand changing times and changing tastes. Clementi and Liszt, it seems they get it right by chance every few pieces. Perhaps (and Liszt evantually did this and wrote truly great music, instead of becoming a piano maker) Clementi should have spent more time at his writing desk and less time at the piano.

well neither did Mozart. He could develope well, just never bothered because most his compositions were rushed and never altered to perfection. He just throws wonderful ideas at you one after another. Haydn on the other hand was a genius of developement. You could say he was the precursor of Beethoven, and certainly, he had more than a little influence on the latter.
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline contrapunctus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: December 23, 2005, 05:02:29 AM
We must sacrifice Mozart's, Clementi's, and C.P.E. Bach's Sonatas towards the great Haydn, who wrote the best Sonatas in the classical era.

Horowitz is a ***.
Medtner, man.

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: December 23, 2005, 09:37:11 PM
K 284

and I do believe it is the hardest of sonatas, although I know others would disagree, the theme and Variations are insane.

Online transitional

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: July 09, 2023, 10:39:32 PM
Not a very popular thread, is it? Well, I love ranking piano sonatas. I'll have to include a few since I really like tons of them.

1. k 576 (beautiful/contrapuntal 1st movement and complex but playful 3rd movement, love the triplets)
2. k 533 (the peak of the use of counterpoint in piano sonatas)
3. k 332 (nostalgia)
4. k 333 (would probably be #1 if the whole piece's quality matched the 1st movement)

and I also have to include an honorable mention section just because: k 330, k 570, k 457, k 281

Now we're done.
last 3 schubert sonatas and piano trios are something else
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert