Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: piano quartets and trios  (Read 1306 times)

Offline gee

• PS Silver Member
piano quartets and trios
on: December 18, 2005, 12:53:58 AM
hey, i wasn't exactly sure where to post this so i put it here. I recently formed a quartet and we just played the last movement of Brahms g minor quartet for our school. The audience loved the piece, and we were encouraged into starting another piece or movement.
My request is if anybody would give me a suggestion for a piano quartet (piano, violin, viola, cello) or trio (piano, violin, cello) piece or movement that we can play. My group really prefers the more deep sounding and powerful pieces in general with a little bit of virtuosity mixed in between. Although we're quite open to any beautiful music.
Thanks to everybody in advance, gee.

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Re: piano quartets and trios
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 01:55:58 AM

My request is if anybody would give me a suggestion for a piano quartet (piano, violin, viola, cello) or trio (piano, violin, cello) piece or movement that we can play. My group really prefers the more deep sounding and powerful pieces in general with a little bit of virtuosity mixed in between. Although we're quite open to any beautiful music.
Thanks to everybody in advance, gee.

The best piano trio ever composed has to be Beethoven´s Op 1-3 in C minor, the only problem is that is too difficult to play  :o. Thats my recomendation. You can also try Beethoven´s Variations Op 44 in Eb major, they are far easier than the trio in C minor.

I dont know about quartets, sorry.
The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline gee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 02:31:58 AM
yes, very little quartet music was ever written. There are many trio groups out there and when they want to play a quartet, they just hire a violist. Thanks for the reply, i'll have to listen to that piece of music sometimes.
Too hard? what is it comparable to in terms of difficulty?

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 02:44:07 AM
maybe the composers on the forum shouild fix that quartet problem.

Offline gee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 10:11:41 PM
Presto agitato, i listened to the last movement of Beethoven's C minor trio, and I absolutely loved it. Is this one of the harder movements? I'll be getting ahold of the sheetmusic in awhile.

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 04:03:19 AM
Presto agitato, i listened to the last movement of Beethoven's C minor trio, and I absolutely loved it. Is this one of the harder movements? I'll be getting ahold of the sheetmusic in awhile.

In my opinion the first movement is the hardest and the second movement is so beautiful...

Try to get the CD by the Stuttgart Piano Trio (NAXOS), amazing recording of this revolutionary work.
The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 07:41:52 AM
The Piano Quartet (violin/viola/cello/piano) is my favorite chamber music combination. I reccomend the following works...

Schumann op.47 in Eb
Brahms op.25, op.26, and particularly op.60 in c minor
Mozart Eb K.478 and g minor, K.493
Dvorak, Eb major op.? and D major op.23

Here is a link to swarthmore.edu, at Swarthmore College. This is an amazing site if you're looking for chamber music; bookmark it, I did...

https://www.swarthmore.edu/library/underhill/chamber/II.html
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline panic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 08:05:12 AM
Schubert E-flat trio maybe, or what about either Faure piano quartet?

Offline g_s_223

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 07:40:53 PM
Another piano quartet listing here: https://www.massey.ac.nz/~wwnzpq/4tet.html
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert