Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Playing into the keys  (Read 2294 times)

Offline turtlethief

• PS Silver Member
Playing into the keys
on: October 05, 2003, 01:48:04 AM
My piano teacher always tells me to play deeper into the keys, that I'm just playing on the surface. She suggested practicing louder but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

Any tips on how to play more into the keys?

Thanks

Offline jeff

Re: Playing into the keys
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 03:40:55 AM
perhaps by using more relaxed arm weight?

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 08:36:49 PM
Along with more relaxed (but controlled) arm weight, if you have an adjustable bench, try lowering it.  If you're sitting too high, it raises the wrists and hands, and makes you play more on your fingertips, which is a drier, lighter, more brittle sounding touch.  It may be contributing to the problem in causing you to create "gray music".
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline Celeste

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 07:15:31 AM
It's hard to play on different pianos and get the same sound. While you may be playing "into the keys" on your piano, you may not be getting the same effect on your teacher's piano. This I find true for me.

JohnOgdon

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 04:50:22 PM
You want to watch ths "playing into the keys" talk, it is a recipe (in my experience) for excessive tension and makes for a more complicated and less comfortable (and worse sounding) piano method.

Offline Laurie_H

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 03:29:21 AM
Yeah, basically you just need to relax your arms and use the wieght rather than wacking the keys. But if you don't know what your teacher's telling you to do then ask him/her to explain it again - that's what they're there for!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert