Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Maria Joao Pires  (Read 2596 times)

Offline iainphil

• PS Silver Member
Maria Joao Pires
on: October 12, 2003, 12:41:47 PM
Has anyone attended a performance by Pires in recent years? I for one have had enough of her "idiosyncracies": I recently went to a performance of hers in Rotterdam, which at best can be described as indifferent. She had the stage "dressed" as a living-room, dim light (to the point of being almost dark) and easy-chair; stormed onto the stage, charging straight into the first work, barely acknowledging the audience and scarcely looked anywhere but the piano all evening. She had requested in a letter which was handed out beforehand that she did not want any clapping between works (OK, one can live with that), but also changed the programme completely AND added that she "would not be disturbed by natural coughing during performance"! Of course such a statement works as a magnet on some people, and made for some really very disturbing coughing-solo's throughout the performance. Pires also saw fit to foist on us a 'cellist in a performance of the Schubert Arpeggione Sonata who made so many mistakes throughout, that the audience could barely bring itself to applaud. In short, an excruciating performance, and I shall never again pay good money for Pires, who has over the last few years done nothing but disappoint and irritate!!! If she doesn't like audiences (she certainly gives that impression), perhaps she should stop performing in public .....

Offline GG

• PS Silver Member
Re: Maria Joao Pires
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 04:07:08 PM
What a coincidence - I just put Pires' recording of the Chopin Nocturnes and logged on, and there was your message. No, I haven't had the privilege of attending such a recital but I have only respect for her supreme sense of melody. I also love her Schubert Impromtus and Moments Musiceaux recording. However, I do agree that when you attend a recital where you are made to feel like you are an unpleasant drag to the performer, you don't really feel like coming for more....

Offline Noah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 08:42:37 PM
I went to one of her recitals in Brussels a few years ago and it was one of the best recitals I've been to. She played Mozart sonatas and some Schumann...
There was no weird 'dressing' of the stage whatsoever, it was just a normal recital =)

What you describe sounds ridiculous though, and I would've been annoyed too
'Some musicians don't believe in God, but all believe in Bach'
M. Kagel

JohnOgdon

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 03:34:10 PM
I've only ever seen her once, she played mozrt no.9 at RFH. very friendly stage manner, beautiful playing, what you say about her recital behaviour I cannot really comment on since I have never been to one of her recitals, but it does sound rather peculiar... Maybe she was having a bad day!

Offline iainphil

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 04:17:02 PM
Perhaps I should have said that I have attended performances by her before, as recently as a year ago in Amsterdam, when that "distance" from the audience was already strongly in evidence. I have in fact kept saying: perhaps she has a bad day; better luck next time". Don't get me wrong: I've long been an admirer of Ms Joao Pires, but I strongly feel that when an artist finds it difficult/impossible to relate to his/her audience (read: source of income) that artist should make way for those who can and do find the relationship with the public to be of vital importance.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 06:59:16 PM
Perhaps I should have said that I have attended performances by her before, as recently as a year ago in Amsterdam, when that "distance" from the audience was already strongly in evidence. I have in fact kept saying: perhaps she has a bad day; better luck next time". Don't get me wrong: I've long been an admirer of Ms Joao Pires, but I strongly feel that when an artist finds it difficult/impossible to relate to his/her audience (read: source of income) that artist should make way for those who can and do find the relationship with the public to be of vital importance.

If that were to be the case then we would be without the majority of Glenn Gould's output,
Ed

Offline iainphil

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 07:27:00 PM
Glenn Gould is surely not the best example you could have chosen! He retired from public performance early (his last public performance was in April 1964, and he was then only 32!!!), and most of his output is from the studio. To quote from his biography (for those interested, there's an excellent and informative website, www.glenngould.com):
"He chose for himself a solitary existence which kept interaction at a safe distance, showing himself primarily through his recordings, broadcasts, and writings, providing self-protection but at the same time allowing a great deal of self-revelation. As he once said. he had "opted out creatively".

Offline Pianomaster

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2003, 06:51:55 PM
What is so magical about Maria Joao Pires is that she is a transcedental artist.  Her chamber music skills are one of the finest in the world -- esp with violinist Augustin Dumay.

Maria is actually a very friendly person.  She might come across as being "rude" to the audiences but she is really a down to earth, kind person.  If she wasn't, she wouldn't have adopted and raised 12 children from Africa.  

She's the finest in chamber music or concertos with Claudio Abbado.  

Offline iainphil

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2003, 07:10:55 PM
Oh dear, what I am supposed to understand by "transcendental artist"?! Do you mean that she transcends us mere mortals? If yes, then give me a "people's artist" anyday!! I prefer the performers I go and listen to, to be capable of relating to their audiences; otherwise, why bother?

Offline Pianorak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 05:38:03 PM
Pires’ recital at London’s Wigmore Hall yesterday (10 Nov) was broadcast on Radio 3. Her playing was immaculate, ie beautiful tone and phrasing. And yet I thought the performance bland and unmemorable. Compare her version of the Chopin Nocturne Op. 48/1 with that of Argerich and you’ll see what I mean by “bland”. Obviously, this is a very subjective response on my part. That said, I would still like to hear her live one day. However, having had two of her recitals cancelled in the past I wasn’t going to risk another disappointment and decided to just listen to the broadcast. In the event she did turn up yesterday. Bully for some!
As for “relating to their audience” I could mention a certain Spanish pianist who a few years ago managed to make me feel that unwelcome and uncomfortable by his frosty stage manner that I vowed to never again attend any of his performances which in any case I thought pretty mediocre. Come to think of it he seems to have disappeared from the scene altogether. Not a great loss.  
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert