Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Sixths  (Read 1216 times)

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Sixths
on: January 30, 2006, 01:06:10 PM
I was recently practicing 6ths, and i can achieve a smooth fast scale, but theonly problem is an c major, ascending, i use the fingering 1-3, 1-4 2-5, then cross the 1-3 over. However this achieves a smoth sound,my wrist makes an awful crack,and the position ofmy hand is not to pleasant to look at and looks all deformed and awkward.

Any ideas on how to achieve a more smooth appearence, and a cause for the crack, which iis not painful, but i don;tl like the sound of it.

Thanks

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Sixths
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 05:51:55 PM
i have a book entitled 'mastering the scales and arpeggios' by james francis cooke.  it is helpful. 

your fingering is exactly what they have for sixths until your 3-1 fingering and the 'crack.'  try 4-1, 5-2, 4-1, 5-2 to finish the scale...then repeat 5-2, 3-1, 4-1, 5-2 ...

so the whole thing:  5-2, 3-1, 4-1, 5-2, 4-1, 5-2, 4-1...

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
Re: Sixths
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 07:48:58 PM
In his extensive comments to Chopin's study in sixths (op. 25/8), Cortot describes up to a dozen possibilities on how to play sixths-scales. Actually, for the last chromatic run, he provides exactly 12 options (labeled A to L). I worked through the first 11 until I realized that option 12 (L) is the best  for my hand!!
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert