Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: How do you play this rhythm?  (Read 2839 times)

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
How do you play this rhythm?
on: February 04, 2006, 12:48:25 AM
Okay, I give up!  How do you play 7 against 8?  (Bar after bar after bar..........)  There has to be a way!   Help. :P
Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Re: How do you play this rhythm?
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 04:51:18 AM
What on earth are you trying to play now?

Basically you just fit it in. There's a metrenome trick out there- you set the metrenome beat to one per measure, play the 8s, play the 7s, keep alternating, then just put it together.

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 05:16:18 AM
What on earth are you trying to play now?

Lol!  What is that suppost to mean!  I'm not trying to play anything yet.  I'm getting ready to play something :D  .  I want to play Barber's Excursion no. 3, but I don't have the music yet.  Does anyone have it?  And pretty piano playing told me that was the rhythm of the piece, so I'm like practicing with random notes, so I can get good at it when I get the music! ;D ;D

Offline sonatainfsharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 05:52:27 AM
Okay, I give up!  How do you play 7 against 8?  (Bar after bar after bar..........)  There has to be a way!   Help. :P
Barber's third Excursion? Hate to say it, but just feel it; everything lines up at the end of the bar. It's actually quite simple.

Start by practicing scales in polyrhythms. Pretty soon you will get out of a locked rhythmic feel and be able to feel much, much larger groups of rhythms.

Offline tac-tics

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 11:34:18 PM
Run it through a MIDI sequencer and memorize how it sounds.

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 12:37:20 AM
Never mind.  I got my answer from a piano workshop.  You just start the first note in each hand together.  Then the hand with 8 notes in the bar plays the next note since it's moving fast than the other hand.  Then they just aternate!  Duh :P  Silly me!

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 01:04:22 AM
Never mind.  I got my answer from a piano workshop.  You just start the first note in each hand together.  Then the hand with 8 notes in the bar plays the next note since it's moving fast than the other hand.  Then they just aternate!  Duh :P  Silly me!

No, that isn't exactly right.  If you do that, they won't be even.  To be totally accurate, you can put it in MIDI as someone else said.  Another way would be to divide the measure into 56ths, since it is divisible by both 7 and 8, and then map out when each one would fall.  I just did it for fun (yeah, I'm a nerd):

Counting from 1 to 56
one hand will play on 1   8   15   22    29   36    43    50
one hand will play on 1    9   17     25    33     41     49

As you can see, it IS both at first, then every other one, but not evenly.  9 is right after 8, but then 17 is 2 56ths after 15, etc.

But of course, this is much to tedious and really pointless, because, like others have said, just FEEL it!    ;D

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 05:43:01 AM
No, no, that was not pointless at all, but most helpful!  I actually just found out that it would end up being a bit off doing it my way.  This really helps me because I'm a visual learner, so even though I don't want to count to 56 for every bar (though, when I'm sight reading it I probably will), this helps me get a feel for the layout, so thank you so much!

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 09:39:18 PM
Hahaha... oh wow.

It was late at night when I first posted on this thread. When I saw your name, Lagin, I read it wrong and confused it with Lau (the kid who's trying to play the Liszt Mazeppa), hence the "what on earth are you trying to play now" comment.

Sorry about that dear!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert