Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Repertoire favorites  (Read 2922 times)

Offline KKordi

• PS Silver Member
Repertoire favorites
on: June 17, 2002, 06:24:02 AM
Hello all,

Here is the very difficult question I always ask everybody. I want to prepare a full concertworth of music. What will be good for the concert? I mean I want to know like a very fast piece that is also beautiful, a favorite piece, but at the same time, i don't want it to be such a well-known piece that everybody plays. Got any idea? thanks
Kevin

Offline Diabolos

• PS Silver Member
Re: Repertoire favorites
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2002, 08:48:17 PM
Hi there.

Since I didn't know how good you're playing, here some of my favourite pieces:

Chopin: Scherzo Nr. 1 and Ballad Nr. 1
Maybe one of the Bach Toccatas?
Granados: One of the Goyescas
Ravel: Toccata from Le tombeau de Couperin

I could list a whole lot of pieces here, but these are, besides the Ravel, rarely played pieces. Especially Granados or the Chopin Scherzi are examples of really great, technically challenging and lyrical piano music which will always impress the audience.

Offline MikeThePianist

• PS Silver Member
Re: Repertoire favorites
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2002, 04:56:22 PM
I agree with the other post with the Chopin first Scherzo.  Here are my other suggestions.

Beethoven Sonata Op. 7 (rarely played, extremely fun).
A set of Debussy Preludes (great chances to show off color and tone)
Bartok Suite Op. 14
Bach Partita No. 2
Ravel Sonatine
Chopin Ballade No. 3 (my favorite of the Ballades)

Good luck!
Mike
Michael Fauver is pursuing his bachelors degree in piano performance at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert