Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Passepied  (Read 2972 times)

Offline lisztener

• PS Silver Member
Passepied
on: February 25, 2006, 10:02:01 PM
HI!

I have some issues about learning to play passepied correctly with my (actually) right hand! In the chord section when you play staccato, I just get tired very quickly. I'm trying to hit the keys with some amount of force, but immediately after that I try  to relax. Is this a bad strategy? I mean afterall, it passes very fast, and you need to make the keys sound...
What am I supposed to do? I've started to practice more than earlier (2 h minimum/day).. Could that be it? I really don't know.   Funny thing is that I don't have any problems with playing the left hand..  I've practiced passepied for about a week, and the left hand is working good...   (I'm lefthanded, might that be the reason)

However..   Hope that you know what's best to do...
take care! /lisztener 

Offline emmdoubleew

• PS Silver Member
Re: Passepied
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 02:57:53 AM
The relaxing right after hitting the keys is an extremely good strategy. Once the sound is produce, no tension is needed! Just the weight of your hand.

I don't know what peice you are talking about, but in general, try to use gravity to your advantage and such, don't bang on the piano, try to minimize any muscle tension in your arm.

Offline ryan2189

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 03:41:03 AM
Hey

I am also learning the Passepied. I am cleaning it up and getting ready to play it in a concert coming up. The part you are having trouble with is difficult, but if you keep your hand position throughout, and move your wrist back and forth, you don't get tired so easily (or at least for me). I think that this is just an example of a part that needs repetition. I took me a while too (and it could still use a little work :D ) but you will get it eventually. Good luck.

Offline lisztener

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 12:53:42 PM
good luck with your concerto :)   Let me know how it went
and thanks fort the tips
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert