Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Why does everyone wanna learn Fantasie Impromptu?  (Read 12491 times)

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Why does everyone wanna learn Fantasie Impromptu?
Reply #50 on: October 23, 2010, 09:04:06 PM
It's hard to be objective about something so familiar and so overplayed.  There was a time in my distant callow youth when I just had to learn it, too, so I can understand the superficial appeal of the piece—but I’m certain I would have higher regard for it were it the product of a lesser composer than Chopin.

In terms of inspiration and craftsmanship, I just don't find that F-I rises to the standards set in the works Chopin chose to publish during his lifetime.  In comparison, it seems practically uncharacteristic: weak, half-baked, low rent.  It’s honestly one of my least favorite of the posthumous pieces.
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline carbe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #51 on: October 23, 2010, 09:07:31 PM
I have respect for the composer, but not for this piece.

Why every pre teen spotty faced 3rd rate hack in the Universe wishes to play this is beyond me.

As you say, it is good we all have different taste.

Thal

I can just speak for myself, but I didn't start practising Fantasie Impromptu because of everyone else does it, or because it looks cool when playing it, or because it's a virtuoso piece. I started playing it because I think it's one of the greatest pieces I ever heard. I think it's so popular just for that reason.
I\'m a classical, boogie woogie and pop/rock pianist.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #52 on: October 23, 2010, 10:06:15 PM
I am glad you enjoy it, but you are only 17 years old. When you are twice that, you will realise it is shite.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: October 24, 2010, 05:35:14 AM
Hey, now...I'm going to stick up for those of us who have aspired to learn Fantasie-Impromptu. What's wrong with wanting to learn a show-off piece? If you want to have something in your back pocket to impress your friends and family, Fantasie-Impromptu never disappoints.

I know it's not the BEST piece out there, but you can count me among those who enjoy listening to and playing it.

Offline carbe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #54 on: October 24, 2010, 08:19:29 AM
I am glad you enjoy it, but you are only 17 years old. When you are twice that, you will realise it is shite.

Thal

I'm not sure about that. I know professional pianoplayers who are 34 years or older, and they still like to play Fantasie Impromptu.

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #55 on: October 24, 2010, 08:56:34 AM
Liking to play it is something distinct to thinking it's one of the greatest pieces you've ever heard.  At 17, one might well believe that ... but it's very likely that you will hear incalculably more works that are immeasurably greater over the course of your life.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #56 on: October 24, 2010, 08:59:36 AM
To me it's not a show-off piece but a very emotional piece. I think playing it as a show-off means misunderstanding it. I love Arrau's recording :)

Offline neddles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #57 on: October 24, 2010, 09:17:15 AM
I learnt it only to get my head around the 4 against three thing. but i still like the piece

Offline carbe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #58 on: October 24, 2010, 10:47:19 AM
For me wasn't the 3 against 4-thing so difficult at all... I don't why. Everyone talks about how hard it is to get both of the hands together but I never find that hard. How can that be? I haven't played for so long.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #59 on: October 24, 2010, 11:06:10 AM
What's wrong with wanting to learn a show-off piece?

Nothing wrong with that at all, but this is not a show off piece and if you think it is, perhaps you should not be playing it.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #60 on: October 24, 2010, 11:08:18 AM
Liking to play it is something distinct to thinking it's one of the greatest pieces you've ever heard.  At 17, one might well believe that ... but it's very likely that you will hear incalculably more works that are immeasurably greater over the course of your life.

Incredibly, I have started to agree with everything you say :o

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline carbe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #61 on: October 24, 2010, 02:02:01 PM

Well, you're probably right. But right now, I just think it's a piece which is nice to play and it sounds incredible. I can't say what I think about 30 years...

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #62 on: October 24, 2010, 02:15:31 PM
Incredibly, I have started to agree with everything you say :o

Thal

:)

I appreciate that!—though I reckon we’re destined forever to disagree about that other composer who turned 200 this year.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #63 on: October 24, 2010, 02:22:38 PM
I thought we both liked Norbert Burgmuller ;D

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #64 on: October 24, 2010, 03:00:23 PM
Why is that?  I mean, everyone and their dog is going "I wanna learn Fantasie Impromptu!"

For all those just getting into the standard piano rep...it's the first peice that they hear that is intricate sounding. as it is a very popular peice on many of those classical CD's ull find in many stores like target. it's the first "cool" sounding peice people encounter most of the time. therefore..learn it.
i'm not asian

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #65 on: October 24, 2010, 07:17:02 PM
"therefore..learn it" is a non sequitur, except perhaps to those who are concerned with what's on mass-market Greatest Hits collections.  I find that commercial success and popular appeal are often the least likely indicators of excellence and coolness.

Offline carbe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #66 on: October 24, 2010, 09:21:44 PM
Of course, it's interesting to discuss this, but I think that everybody who wants to learn Fantasie Impromptu has a good reason for it. Show-off, a great piece, it's famous... I don't know what everybody thinks. But if you want to learn it, you should do it, so it's rather pointless to discuss this. Ee will not come up with something other than that some actually wants to play the piece. I'm one of them.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #67 on: October 24, 2010, 10:00:35 PM
so it's rather pointless to discuss this.

And the other thousands of threads dedicated to this piece.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #68 on: October 25, 2010, 11:41:20 PM
Nothing wrong with that at all, but this is not a show off piece and if you think it is, perhaps you should not be playing it.

Thal

If you read through the thread, you'll see that I am not the first one to call it a show-off piece. I was simply defending those who would want to learn a piece for that reason.

It can be a show-off piece to a certain audience. To an accomplished pianist, it's not. But when someone who doesn't play the piano has the chance to watch a performance of it, they are amazed when they see the fingers moving in what seems to be randomness and they can't make sense of it. It does have a 'wow' factor. Most people have no idea what is hard to play and what is not. FI sounds hard. That is why they are amazed by it. Also, let me be clear that when I say show off, I don't mean playing it fast whilst neglecting all musicality and good technique.

And I'm a little hurt that you don't think I should be playing it.  :'(

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #69 on: October 26, 2010, 12:46:43 AM
In my case I lived a pretty isolated life, so my only knowledge of fantasy impromptu was watching my eldest sister Amy practice it and being absolutely fascinated with the sound of it. I loved it my whole life. It was only later when I got into piano that I decided to play it. I guess ignorance is bliss. To me, it didn't matter at all how many other people played it, I loved it for the pleasure it gave me and me only.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #70 on: October 26, 2010, 01:22:22 AM
I can't believe I'm going to say this...

But I've never really had a want to play this in my life ever. I mean - when I was 10 and I saw an adult play it, I was captivated and really wanted to learn it... but when I gained the skills to play pieces at this difficulty - it just didn't catch me.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #71 on: October 26, 2010, 07:25:15 AM
And I'm a little hurt that you don't think I should be playing it.  :'(

Then I apologise as this was not my intention.

My attempted wit has backfired.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #72 on: October 26, 2010, 09:56:50 AM
I like the piece very much, have done since I was a kid, and usually play it for my own pleasure about every week or two I suppose. Each to his own.

But the other posts do imply interesting questions about precisely why we, as individuals, choose to play the sounds we do. I think I must operate more simplistically to most people, in that whether or not I play something - piece, chord, rhythm, any subset of composition or improvisation, any sound - depends on my enjoyment of it and my perception of beauty in it. Just these two properties really. I cannot recall ever playing something because it was considered great. Neither would I play any sound, or work on any music which, to me at least, was not beautiful in the broadest possible sense of that word.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #73 on: October 26, 2010, 04:07:44 PM
Played with taste and discretion it's a little gem, I think.  It's just that the middle section has been used in films and ads for just about everything from teen-age love to toothpaste.

Offline thinkgreenlovepiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #74 on: October 27, 2010, 03:45:21 AM
I wouldn't mind learning Fantasie Impromptu one day-- it is a very nice piece. (I'll be honest, the first time I heard it, I didn't like it so much, I don't know why. But now I think it is quite wonderful)
However- it's not on my priority list of pieces to learn- I've got a bunch of pieces to tackle right now, and then an even longer and ever growing "wishlist".

I do like playing less popular pieces, they motivate me much more. But there are some popular, overplayed pieces that I'm dying to learn- simply because I like them.  FI- I'll learn one day-- I still have the rest of my life to learn it, and if I don't, it won't make me cry, like some pieces probably will if I don't learn them   :'( I bet this is the way Fantasie Impromptu is for some people- the thought of not learning it is saddening.

When it comes to Chopin, what I really want to badly learn are his B major nocturnes- all three of them! No other pieces have ever made me realize my love for B major as much as those nocturnes (although practising scales have- B major is such a comfy scale)  ^^

"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
~Leopold Stokowski

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #75 on: March 02, 2011, 09:37:01 PM
Once I met this truly gorgeous blonde Russian chick. Leggy, slim, yadda-yadda. She said she loved classical music. I was impressed. Then she told me her favorite piece was the FI. She suddenly became a ugly old hag.

awesome
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Pictures at an Exhibition
Beethoven Pathetique sonata
Schumann Papilions

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #76 on: March 02, 2011, 09:41:18 PM
When I was a child, I heard Fantaisie-Impromptu and then it became my motivation to be a great pianist. XD
[/quote]

my motivation is yundi li's la campanella
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Schumann Papilions

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #77 on: March 02, 2011, 09:42:59 PM
I think FI is a beautiful piece. Specially the middle (slow) part is so nice and romantic. When i will be able to play it, i will go for it either. Not to show off for friends, but really because i love that piece.

i would not show off with this piece if I show off at all.
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Schumann Papilions

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #78 on: March 02, 2011, 09:45:02 PM
I did want to play this piece. After 10 minutes of sight reading I quit.
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Schumann Papilions

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #79 on: March 02, 2011, 10:27:45 PM
I did want to play this piece. After 10 minutes of sight reading I quit.

Nobody cares about your 10 minutes experience with Fantasie-Impromptu  ;)

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #80 on: March 02, 2011, 10:42:26 PM
Nor about the three other equally idiotic comments lobbed into this dead thread.

Offline nataliethepianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #81 on: March 02, 2011, 11:37:12 PM
Hello. Right now I am learning Fantasie Impromptu. It is a big mistake. When I forced my teacher to let me start learning it I was completely oblivious to the fact it was so overplayed! It is probably because a) it is a very nice piece and is wanted to be learned just because of it b) for a competitive reason. "I have heard this piece and I am going to try and play it better".

Another thing I do not like is that a lot of young pianists on Youtube don't care for genuine work and again are playing it just because it is the first thing they found on Youtube.

-Natalie

Offline jollisg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #82 on: April 06, 2011, 06:01:12 AM
If "you only like it when you are 17", why aren't you allowed to play it then? Why should you think about what you would like when you're 30?

Offline kantsuiex

• PS Silver Member
Reply #83 on: April 06, 2011, 02:11:34 PM
Overplayed is overplayed, it is irrelevant to whether you like or dislike this piece. I love FI and has learnt to play this a few years ago.
But as what people say, it is very hard to play it well although being able to play it is a easy matter. 
I think the point is how your interpretation is different from others and how you skill level can help express your interpretation :)

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #84 on: April 06, 2011, 03:17:43 PM
Come to think of it .... FI is a very popular piece among the general
public who have some liking for classical piano... ;D ... the likes of
Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata .... if there are top hits for classical piano
for the general public then FI will be one of them.  The popularity therefore
creates the demand.... or is it the other way around??? :o ;D

Also it is quite popular among young students of the piano .... a lot of kids
in YT (including mine) attempt to play this ... probably because the tune is
as they say cool and catchy! ;D  It is a fairly complicated piece and a challenge
to young pianists in the 16 year old or less age group. The younger a child
can play it the more of a wonder that child becomes (for the general public).

And as Birba has said ...... it is a gem as played by some much older pianists.
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #85 on: April 06, 2011, 03:37:38 PM
I have respect for the composer, but not for this piece.  Why every pre teen spotty faced 3rd rate hack in the Universe wishes to play this is beyond me.  As you say, it is good we all have different taste.
Thal 

HHmmmnnn .....  oh well ... even the non-spotty faced preteens and not so 3rd rate hacks also like to play the Fantasie Impromptu!!!    :(  :'(   (
)
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline joao975ca

• PS Silver Member
Reply #86 on: April 06, 2011, 06:10:30 PM
Fantasie-Impromptu is overplayed, that's a fact! But, personally, I like it! Not because it is well known or its virtuosity, like most people.
Working on:
Bach - Toccata in f sharp minor, BWV 910
Beethoven - Sonata op.57, "Appassionata"
Liszt - "Après une lecture du Dante"
Tchaikovsky - Concerto 1

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #87 on: April 07, 2011, 03:29:25 AM
It is usually one of the first 'virtuoso' pieces that people hear, so obviously they will be like "holy crap, I need to play that"... I did the same thing when I heard it - I was like 12 and HAD to play it lol.

I don't think that should overshadow the 'quality' of the piece.  Just because a lot of people like it, is it suddenly off limits?

Honestly, I could see a theatre fanatic saying "why the hell do so many people like Romeo and Juliett, there are so many other plays out there that are better".  Get over it, a lot of people like the piece!!
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #88 on: April 07, 2011, 11:03:18 AM
Get over it, a lot of people like the piece!!

And the same can be said for Fuer Elise, too, but it's easier to put on slippers than carpet the world.  There's no accounting for taste!  Wouldn't most people prefer to read Dan Brown than Dickens?

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #89 on: April 07, 2011, 12:19:35 PM
I think I was in my 40's when I finally decided to learn the piece.  I think I did it more to please others then to please myself.  You have to toss it off like a piece of cake - a trifle - something that's over with before you even realize it.  It's a pleasant sort of piece but you mustn't over do the dramatic expression.  I saw someone on youtube play it once, and she was very good, but she overstated it, if you get my gist.  You'd think she had tackled the hammerklavier.   ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert