Piano Forum

Hommage and Collaboration - Prosseda Plays Morricone
There are few names more synonymous with the sound of cinema than Ennio Morricone. The cultural titan was so prolific that nobody can say for certain how many film scores he actually wrote, but we have talked to a man who has played and recorded all of Morricone's compositions for solo piano. Read more >>

Topic: learn the piano...online?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline jayMX

• PS Silver Member
learn the piano...online?
on: November 05, 2003, 07:51:20 AM
do you think its possible?

I came across www.pianonanny.com and it looks pretty good. I really dont want to pay a bunch of money for piano lessons, but I would really like to learn the piano.

thanks!

;D

Offline Noah

• PS Silver Member
Re: learn the piano...online?
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 01:40:57 PM
do you think its possible?

No.
Piano is all about feeling the instrument and you need human contact (ie a teacher) to learn that.
'Some musicians don't believe in God, but all believe in Bach'
M. Kagel

Offline guitarwolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 06:39:42 AM
Not too sure about that, I seem to be doing quite well. I also learned to play guitar by myself and can play almost anything on electric. I think it depends on how much passion u have for the music and patience. Of course taking lessons with a human is MUCH better, but to answer ur question, I think its possible.

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 05:52:45 PM
Possible? - Yes to a certain extent.

Advisable? - Not really. It's always better to have a teacher giving you real time feedback based on one-on-one observations.  If you try to learn on your own, or using an online tutorial, you will - not might - will develop some bad habits ranging from fingering, hand position posture, arm, hand, finger, torso motion, etc.
As a rule, it usually takes twice as long to unlearn a bad habit, and learn the correct way, than is takes to learn the correct way from the beginning.
That's why it is always better to have lessons with a real person.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline ThePhoenixEffect

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 02:16:20 AM
If you have the talent...its possible, but no matter how much innate talent you have...you could never progress even "just as" fast as if you had a good real live teacher.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert