Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Mozart sonata suggestions  (Read 2295 times)

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Mozart sonata suggestions
on: March 16, 2006, 03:39:12 PM
Please suggest to me a Mozart sonata that is nice to listen to (in your opinion, I shall find out by finding a recording of it after) and that is quite enjoyable to learn.

Thankyou,
Henrah
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hässler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Glière- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /

Offline el nino

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart sonata suggestions
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 04:56:51 PM
c minor

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 04:57:29 PM
What number is that? Opus&number/k-number?

Or is there only one?
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hässler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Glière- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /

Offline arioso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 05:02:16 PM
C minor no. 24 kv 491...      yes there is only one in c minor

Offline arioso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 05:08:30 PM
Oh sorry! no. 24 kv 491 is a piano concerto, not a sonata.... but it is really worth listening to ;)

Offline kreso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 05:13:54 PM
Please suggest to me a Mozart sonata that is nice to listen to (in your opinion, I shall find out by finding a recording of it after) and that is quite enjoyable to learn.

Thankyou,
Henrah

Please, can you tell me how many years you play piano, becuase Mozart wrote a lot of sonatas and some of them are easier and some of them are very hard.. so it depends..

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 05:20:55 PM
I have been playing for atleast 4-5years cumalative approx. Got taught for a year or so, stopped because my teacher went to uni; got taught later on for a year or so but stopped because the teacher was mean and I never practiced; then took it up again on my own when I was 14 (I'm 17 now, 18 in June) from meeting other pianists.

I can play Chopin's preludes 4 and 6, learning 15; I can also play my friends AS Music composition (but that's not very useful as you guys don't know it). I can play the first 2-3 pages of Mephisto Waltz well, and also all but 2pages from the end of Gnomenreigen. I also know Rach's prelude in C#minor up to the triplets, but haven't played it in a long time.
Henrah

EDIT: Check out this topic which includes all three pieces that I have learnt completely. The Serenade will probably give you a better view of the range of my abilities as it is more varied than the two preludes.

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 06:14:07 PM
K283 in G major. The last movement is great fun :D .

Offline el nino

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 08:17:59 PM
and a minor k 310

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 08:54:31 PM
Ok, cheers for the suggestions guys! Keep em coming if you like, I'll always check them out before actually learning one :) Think I might wait till after the Raindrop prelude, the decide on the ones that have been suggested.

Thanks again!
Henrah

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 09:24:32 PM
and a minor k 310
Too difficult if you're busy with raindrop imo. It's beautiful though :) .

Offline soliloquy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 10:17:36 PM
k. 533 is my favorite

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 11:49:14 PM
k310 (amin), k576 (dmaj) and k533 (fmaj) are probably the hardest out of the lot.
The 'durnitz' looks like fun (haven't played it) - dmaj no.6, the k number escapes me at the moment.
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 12:57:13 PM
Ok, cheers guys!

Keep em coming!
Henrah

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 05:00:06 PM
Hi Henra,

Maibe you should try C major, k 545 first. It´s quite fun,  and not so dificult to learn for your level. Also, it is a nice diplay of mozart´s style. Some of the other sonatas people sugested are nice to, but are more laborious than k545.

I´m not an advanced leve player miself, but that was the fist Mozart sonata I studied, and I remenber it was very pleasant studing this piece. Anyway, althoug it doesn´t have major tecnical dificulties as some of the others, it is as beautifull as any of mozart´s major works.

Also, it´s not that easy to play this piece well! ;)

Carlos

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 05:38:30 PM
Ok, thanks Carlos!! I shall surely look over it :)
Henrah

Offline thao-an

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 12:06:45 AM
Hi Henra,

Maibe you should try C major, k 545 first. It´s quite fun,  and not so dificult to learn for your level. Also, it is a nice diplay of mozart´s style. Some of the other sonatas people sugested are nice to, but are more laborious than k545.

I´m not an advanced leve player miself, but that was the fist Mozart sonata I studied, and I remenber it was very pleasant studing this piece. Anyway, althoug it doesn´t have major tecnical dificulties as some of the others, it is as beautifull as any of mozart´s major works.

Also, it´s not that easy to play this piece well! ;)

Carlos

I agree.  I myself just played this in a recital a couple of weeks ago.  It's a nice piece of music, and as Carlos said, is not extremely challenging.

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 07:41:22 PM
K 284 if you want a HUGE kick in the balls.

The third movement is a beast.

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 01:08:16 AM
The C minor sonata is K. 457 (No. 14). I'm learning it now and I really like it (except the 3rd movement).
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 01:16:43 AM
The C minor sonata is K. 457 (No. 14). I'm learning it now and I really like it (except the 3rd movement).

Okay, I'll bite.  Why don't you like the 3rd movement ?
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline supertonic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 03:29:58 PM
I recommend K333, esp first movement. It cheers me up everytime when I listen to it.

Offline kreso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 08:19:49 PM
I recommend K333, esp first movement. It cheers me up everytime when I listen to it.

Yes, realy beautifull piece. I spend 2 months in listening Horowitz's recoding of Mozart Sonatas, and particulary this one. Third mvt is like concerto for piano and orchestra, and you can see that Mozart wrote candezna for it. Great work!

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 08:23:55 PM
Yet again, thanks guys for the continuous suggestions! I am hearing more and more Mozart and loving every bit of it ;D
Henrah

Offline gorbee natcase

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 08:33:36 PM
Mozart k311 D minor its lively, beautifull all  movements are good, its fun and comfortable to play and about mid difficulty of bunch Oh and did I say it was fun to play :)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)      What ever Bernhard said

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 08:43:07 PM
Aight, spoken and heard :)

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 11:15:19 PM

How about K570?

I know the third movement - its fun and around your level I think (about Gr6). Cant speak for the other movements though.

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 06:49:08 AM
Righto, added to the list :D

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: April 02, 2006, 07:41:36 PM
Okay, I'll bite.  Why don't you like the 3rd movement ?

I don't exactly know... I find it a bit (dare I say it?) boring, I guess.
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert