Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2017, 10:11:20 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Piano Street Proudly Presents: The New Unique Audiovisual Study Tool (AST)

A new, revolutionary tool that allows you to learn piano pieces faster, broaden your repertoire knowledge, improve your interpretational skills or to simply immerse yourself in the refined art of classical piano music, has finally arrived! Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fingering for Claire De Lune  (Read 5756 times)
guitarwolf

« on: November 18, 2003, 10:10:45 AM »

Starting with the 27th measure. Just how much do I finger with my left? I read somewhere its mostly the left hand but how do I know what to play and what not to with it? Thats also a fast switch if its mostly left. Anyone have any sites or comments it will be much appreciated. Also it seems with at least 3 of my recordings they dont hit the A note in the 27th measure at the end of the bar, instead ending with the D note instead. Anyone else notice this?
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Clair de Lune (moonlight)
Wired

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 11:11:52 AM »

Starting with the 27th measure. Just how much do I finger with my left? I read somewhere its mostly the left hand but how do I know what to play and what not to with it? Thats also a fast switch if its mostly left. Anyone have any sites or comments it will be much appreciated.

I play the Ab and Db with my right hand, then on the F minor arpeggio, I play the Ab, C, and F (with 1, 2, 3) and then with 4 and 5 play the third up top. It's a little stretch, but it feels natural to me. However, I picked this piece up on my own, so I might be doing it "incorrectly"

Also it seems with at least 3 of my recordings they dont hit the A note in the 27th measure at the end of the bar, instead ending with the D note instead. Anyone else notice this?

I don't personally have any recordings of this piece. I've heard it, but the part in question doesn't stick out to me. Sorry I can't help with this one.
Rach3
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 08:09:05 AM »

I have never played Claire de Lune, but I think the fingering here would depend on whether you feel comfortable reaching the tenth (unless you hold the bass note with the pedal, in which case you would just be arpeggiating). Holding RH sustained notes is very important, I would only let RH take the really close sixteenths (i.e., in first figure, Ab and Db, second figure, C and F).

About the last note of the mesaure, since it is part of the arpeggio texture it is much softer than the melody and might not be entirely distinct and identifiable.

"Never look at the trombones, it only encourages them."
--Richard Wagner
guitarwolf

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 11:03:28 AM »

Thnx for the help guys, I am going to do it the same way wired is. Its the way I started but then read somewhere else what I mentioned above and it confused me. Not sure how else u would do it.
DrBob

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 09:18:12 AM »

Measure 27:  Play the 1st 4 notes of the D flat aprpeggio with the left hand ( 5321 ) while holding the sustained notes with right hand using 5 and 4, then finish up the arpeggio with the right hand with the fingers you have free.

Next beat: F minor arpeggio :  play 3 notes with the left hand ( 521 ) and the next 3 notes with the right hand fingering the right with 2nd finger on the A flat, thumb on the C, 2nd finger on the F leading up the A flat C flat chord with 5 4 on the right hand.  This avoids an awkward just back down if one tries to play the whole arpeggio with the left hand.

3rd beat:  3 notes on the left with 5 2 1 then continue the arpeggio with the right hand with the thumb on the C flat, 5 2 on the chord leaving the 4 th finger free to play the A flat softly.  

Lift up the hand to break the legato and use 5 4 at the start of the next measure and the pattern repeats itself almost the same. This measure ends differently and I sue 4 1 on the right hand then 3 1 to start the measure afterwards lifting the hand again for a clean start to a new phrase.

The pattern ocurs in 2 other spots in the piece and this way of fingering it will save you grief later on.

Bob S   Reno, NV

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: