Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: position of elbows  (Read 1684 times)

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
position of elbows
on: November 19, 2003, 10:50:05 AM
i was reading somewhere on the internet (so it was obviously a very credible source) that one should never play with their elbows above their knuckles.

i personally think this is is a crock of bollocks but, he did say it could lead to "sever physical damage" so i'm not keen to dismiss it.

what does everyone else think or know about this?
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould

Offline Sketchee

• PS Silver Member
Re: position of elbows
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 06:37:35 AM
I tried and notice I tend to play with my elbows up and out.  Trying to play with my elbows lower than my knuckles made me feel like I'm slouching and my back hurt.  Maybe if you're in a very low chair or the piano was really high it would matter.
Sketchee
https://www.sketchee.com [Paintings. Music.]

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 06:00:33 AM
i don't think the position of the elbows should matter as much as that you are in a position where there is no tension in your hands or arms
rach on!

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 07:47:14 AM
that's what i thought- yet this guy's on the net sprouting stuff to everyone about the importance of your elbows being in a tense uncomfortable place-

geez- who thought of free speech?  
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert