Piano Forum

Poll

Which ones do you like the best? Vote for not more than three...

Sonata no. 1 in f, op.6
8 (9.1%)
Sonata no. 2 in g#, op.19
9 (10.2%)
Sonata no. 3 in f#, op.23
9 (10.2%)
Sonata no.4 in F#, op.30
9 (10.2%)
Sonata no. 5, op.53
20 (22.7%)
Sonata no. 6, op.62
3 (3.4%)
Sonata no. 7, op.64
6 (6.8%)
Sonata no. 8, op.66
6 (6.8%)
Sonata no. 9, op. 68
6 (6.8%)
Sonata no. 10, op.70
12 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Favorite Scriabin Sonatas  (Read 4293 times)

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Favorite Scriabin Sonatas
on: April 16, 2006, 06:20:03 AM
Self explanatory; however, we could discuss the tonality of the later sonatas; sometimes they are titled with keys, for instance "Sonata #9 in F major" or "Sonata #10 in C major"... not sure I agree with that....

Which period of Scriabin do you like best, early, middle or late?

Since there are at least three style periods in Scriabin's ouevre there are three votes allowed in this poll...
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline da jake

• PS Silver Member
Re: Favorite Scriabin Sonatas
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 06:23:53 AM
After listening to Horowitz, Autsbo, Sofronitsky, and Richter I'm starting to warm up to the late sonatas.

But my absolute favorites are 3,4,5.

"The best discourse upon music is silence" - Schumann

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 06:35:50 AM
You're certainly listening to the best interpreters! Have you heard the Roberto Szidon recs? They're great.

I like all three periods, I picked my favorite Sonata from each one; 3, 4 and 8.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline da jake

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 06:43:59 AM
Yes, I have Szidon's set on DG. It's probably the best complete set I've heard. He puts serious thought into every interpretation.

This might entertain you - live performance of Sonata #1 by the virtually unknown Japanese amateur Hirofumi Uematsu. It's the only interpretation that has made me really pay attention to this piece -  it's played so damn fast!

Movements 1&2:
https://www.prox.jpn.org/~piano/cyber/cyber_e.cgi?type=RAMDL&ID=RAID082

Movements 3&4:
https://www.prox.jpn.org/~piano/cyber/cyber_e.cgi?type=RAMDL&ID=RAID083
"The best discourse upon music is silence" - Schumann

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 09:45:09 AM
what about his posth one in E Flat Minor? That's really worth listening to.. I have 2 recordings and one ends playing it really loud (Ponti) but Szidon ends so calmly and softly - how can the interpretations be so different? isn't it written in the music?
TOm
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline bearzinthehood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 09:50:57 AM
5, 9 and 10 for me

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 10:49:36 AM
what about his posth one in E Flat Minor? That's really worth listening to.. I have 2 recordings and one ends playing it really loud (Ponti) but Szidon ends so calmly and softly - how can the interpretations be so different? isn't it written in the music?
TOm

szidon is middle, the pianist on naxos is very very slow and pianissimo

its absolutely insane how it can be played in such different ways and be equally AWESOME in each

Offline superstition2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 02:53:54 AM
Szidon is overrated. Ponti is mostly a hack.

The best set is Taub's, but it's uneven, like they all are. Unlike worse sets, though, it has some very good performances.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 05:42:43 AM
Yes, I have Szidon's set on DG. It's probably the best complete set I've heard. He puts serious thought into every interpretation.

This might entertain you - live performance of Sonata #1 by the virtually unknown Japanese amateur Hirofumi Uematsu. It's the only interpretation that has made me really pay attention to this piece -  it's played so *** fast!

Movements 1&2:
https://www.prox.jpn.org/~piano/cyber/cyber_e.cgi?type=RAMDL&ID=RAID082

Movements 3&4:
https://www.prox.jpn.org/~piano/cyber/cyber_e.cgi?type=RAMDL&ID=RAID083

Excellent. A little too fast, but very good; certainly made me pay attention...
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline superstition2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 02:43:38 AM
Torturously bad. Tons of mistakes and no feel. Scriabin interpreted by a demented robot.

If you want a faster and better performance, get Hamelin's. If you want the best one I've heard, get Ashkenazy's.

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 02:53:51 AM
my favs are no 1, no 5, and no 7
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline superstition2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 03:02:24 AM
1, 5, 7, 10

Offline contrapunctus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 04:04:05 AM
Can someone tell me which periods encompass which sonata?

I will hazard a guess: 1-4 in first period, 5-6 in second, and 7-10 in third?

Anyways, mine are 1, 5, 6.
Medtner, man.

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 02:24:42 PM
I just listened to a grad student here play 3, 4, 6, and 7, which were the four that I hadn't heard yet. Number 3 is absolutely incredible! The Andante was one of the greatest things I've ever heard. No. 4 is a great piece too.

I can't say I liked 6 or 7 very much - they're alright, but I coudln't really get into them so much.
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 04:24:08 PM
Can someone tell me which periods encompass which sonata?

I will hazard a guess: 1-4 in first period, 5-6 in second, and 7-10 in third?

Anyways, mine are 1, 5, 6.

I think...

EARLY: 1,2,3
MIDDLE: 4,5
LATE: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline prometheus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 08:22:10 PM
When scholars consider Scriabin they seperate all of Scriabin's work into three periods. I think that because Scriabin didn't write any sonata's in his later live the sonatas are split into two groups and the third does not contain any sonatas.

If someone wants I can check my books.

"As an artist you don't rake in a million marks without performing some sacrifice on the Altar of Art." -Franz Liszt

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 04:57:14 AM
When scholars consider Scriabin they seperate all of Scriabin's work into three periods. I think that because Scriabin didn't write any sonata's in his later live the sonatas are split into two groups and the third does not contain any sonatas.

If someone wants I can check my books.

Generally the groups are as I listed them above, but there are other possibilities. Sonatas 6-10 definitely fall into the 3rd period; Deux Danses op.73 and Five Preludes op.74 look to something new, just as the 3rd Sonata anticipates the "Middle" Period, and is often placed there by commentators/historians. Opp. 73-74 foreshadow the "Prefatory Action", the overture to the "Mysterium"; the Prefatory Action, as completed from sketches by Alexander Nemtin is all we have of this piece. Scriabin's 3rd period style is more concise and well defined in opp. 73-74 than before; they could be said to be the beginning of a 4th period, which was tragically cut short by Scriabin's death at age 43.

Check out Koji's Scriabin bio, as well as Faubion Bowers for more detail...

://www.pianosociety.com/index.php?id=179

=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 05:12:09 AM
I chose 5, 7, and 10.  I would have chosen 1 for early period. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline anekdote

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 05:48:59 AM
5 and 8 are my favorites.

Number 8 seems underrated.

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 01:33:12 PM
im going to see no9 played in 2 weeks

no10 i really like, i havent heard much of the other late ones, i really dig 4 and 5, but havent listened to them as much as the early 3, of which the 2nd i find really good but randomly sheet compared to the awesome 1 and 3. 3 being the best of all.

Offline shasta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: April 23, 2006, 01:51:04 PM
His 3rd is my fav
"self is self"   - i_m_robot

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: April 23, 2006, 06:40:32 PM
TOm
any chance of adding this Posth E Flat Minor Sonata? then i can vote for it?  ;D
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline superstition2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 12:55:02 AM
Ponti didn't play the actual final movement of the sonata. Instead, he played Scriabin's Op. 4 Allegro Appassionata, a condensed re-working of the sonata.

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 03:33:36 AM
1, 3 and 10.

I love his early works- all of them- and the middle works up to about the Etudes Op.42. After that, only Sonata No.10 and Vers la Flamme grab my attention.

Phil

Offline dough_mouse

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 11:29:54 PM
Hm. This thread got me interested in Scriabin sonatas and ive listened to a few (I really like 3!), but I dont have any real recordings other than Glen Gould's on number 3. So what specific recording would you guys suggest that has both very high quality performences and as many sonatas as possible?
Doughnut Disturb.

Offline moose_opus_28

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 06:13:28 AM
I like Hamelin's collection, though it doesn't get Scriabin's wild side quite so well.  His 5th is great though.  Ponti and Szidon both have their good moments as well.  Basically, in a huge collections like this, you'll find certain sonatas that each performer has a special affinity for.  Every sonata won't be wonderfully played.

Glemser's Sonatas are very good, or at least vol. 1 of his collection is.  Can't tell you about the other.  In particular, I like Pogorelich's 2nd Sonata and Horowitz's 5th, although these aren't collections like you asked for.

Actually, for value, start with Glemser.

Offline superstition2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: April 29, 2006, 04:41:35 AM
Hm. This thread got me interested in Scriabin sonatas and ive listened to a few (I really like 3!), but I dont have any real recordings other than Glen Gould's on number 3. So what specific recording would you guys suggest that has both very high quality performences and as many sonatas as possible?
Glemser, sonatas volume 1 (NOT volume 2). This has the best #7, first movement of #2, and a solid 9th and B minor fantasy. The 5th and 6th are well-played, but Taub is my pick for them.

Taub, complete sonatas. This has the best digital recordings of #4, #5, #6, #10 and solid #3. #1 and #2 are good. The weak spots are #7, #8, and #9.

Ashkenazy, complete sonatas. This has the best digital recordings of #1 and #8. The particularly weak spots are #5, #7, and #10.

Horowitz Plays Scriabin (Sony label). Outstanding performances, of course.

Poem of Ecstasy, Piano Concerto, Prometheus ... (Maazel and Ashkenazy). The Boulez disc is OK, too.

Avoid Ogdon, Ponti, and Szidon. Hamelin didn't understand Scriabin's music. He plays it with no passion, with the exception of the 5th sonata. Szidon is overblown. Ogdon and Ponti are sloppy.

Offline superstition2

• PS Silver Member

Offline dough_mouse

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: April 29, 2006, 09:35:18 PM
Thanks a bunch everyone!  ;D
Doughnut Disturb.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert