Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: help with schumann op 68 No.14  (Read 4546 times)

Offline hal

• PS Silver Member
help with schumann op 68 No.14
on: December 06, 2003, 06:13:51 AM
Hey guys
I dont understand this little etude in the album for the young, the fingering for the second part, bar 9 and 11, it is supposed the right hand jump the left?
this book say to play C with 4 and the bass cleff C with 5....im confused...also the notes in the bass cleff are thiner
any help?
thanks in advance, and sorry for my bad english
Hal

Offline Infernal_Nerd

• PS Silver Member
Re: help with schumann op 68 No.14
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 09:40:41 PM
You can see the space between the notes gets smaller, it's an arppegiod chord.
I think that at first, you do the two C's with your left-hand's 1 and 5, the upper E and lower G with 1 and 4, and the E & G with 3 and 5.
Either, you can use the right hand: 1 for C, 3 for E, 4 for G, and jump to the upper harmony, meanwhile use the left hand for the bass arrpegio  ;D.

Hope I helped.

PS - My teacher gave me this piece once, never touched it  ;)
Wake up from the ashes.

Offline Hammerclavier

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 08:07:13 PM
Hi,

Infernal_Nerd was either looking at the wrong piece or the wrong bar... =)

I believe it was some printing error on your book. I don't think they had intended a right hand jump on the bass clef! In any case, for bar 9, you may like to use left hand 4 for the bass A, 2 for bass C and 1 for bass E. You can use right hand 5 for treble A, 3 for treble E and 1 for treble C.

Hope this helps!

Offline hal

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 12:55:58 AM
Hammerclavier, actually it's bar 9 and 11 for the *second part*, the fingering i don΄t understand.  or bar 41 and 43 from the begining... :-/

Offline Infernal_Nerd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 08:58:36 AM
I found a copy of it somewhere, it's the last study from the book, right?
I don't have the book itself, my teacher once borrowed it to me though.

Anyway; "Infernal_Nerd was either looking at the wrong piece or the wrong bar... =)" - I think I wasn't, I think you did though  ;).
And Hal, I repeat and say, I never played it, but if you want me to help you with that more straight, contact me via ICQ, or try checking if what I said up there, and declaring if it's right/wrong.

P.S - it's not an arrpegiod chord, I dunno what's the name for it :),

Amit.
Wake up from the ashes.

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 06:29:23 AM
A good left hand fingering is 521 for bars 9 and 11 of the second part when playing the smaller notes in the bass clef which is preferred.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 08:05:15 AM
The small note open arpeggios are preferred but the larger notes in the LH in second part measures 9 and 11 are there for the younger students with very small hands.  It's a choice --choose big notes or choose small notes, but not both.  You'll notice that in measures 10 and 12 there is a decresc, inferring that a slightly bigger sound is requested for measures 9 and 11, and the open position LH arpeggs help that happen.  I would use LH 521 on all three small note figures in this section.  If your hand can reach an octave (or even less) there shouldn't be a problem for legato there.  Just remember, once you play the 2nd note of the 3, lift up off of the first note!  This allows your hand to easily play the 3rd note.
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert