Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Relationship Pianist-Composer  (Read 1227 times)

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Relationship Pianist-Composer
on: May 24, 2006, 09:52:50 PM
Who believe also that each great pianist has his 'own' composer. When you want to hear Bach, you think of Gould. Scriabin-Horowitz. Prokofiev-Richter. Chopin-Rubinstein. ,...
May be, to become a good and professional pianist you have to be véry good in 'your' composer.
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Offline krenske

• PS Silver Member
Re: Relationship Pianist-Composer
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 10:27:16 PM
????????????
Not sure about the Gould bit, although he was a funny bastard. Richter's Bach is good for me.
"Horowitz died so Krenske could live."

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 11:08:47 PM
Grieg: Andsnes
Rachmaninoff: Horowitz
Liszt: Cziffra
Alkan: Hamelin
Beethoven: Brendel
Mozart: Barenboim
Schubert: Andsnes

etc
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 11:09:26 PM
If that's so, there won't be many composers left for our generation of pianists to have as 'our own'. Of course there is, and always will be, composers to choose from. But what about those that also think of Chopin, Prokoviev and Rachmaninov etc as their own? Will this mean that they will never be able to be as successful as they could be through being very good in 'their composer' as they will always be compared to the firsts? I think this means that the level of judgement on what is being 'very good' will constantly increase for these popular composers.
Henrah
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hässler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Glière- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /

Offline alzado

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 11:14:12 PM
What you have is much too oversimplified.

Artur Rubinstein was a master of Chopin and was associated with Chopin.

And yet Horowitz -- when he played Chopin -- played him with understanding, and very well.

I think you are doing an injustice to make pianists and composers into a kind of stamp collection, where item "A" must always be glued into "space B."

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 11:18:38 PM
Doesent everyone associate differently really? It becomes a matter of taste who you want to associate the composers with.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 11:22:23 PM
Doesent everyone associate differently really? It becomes a matter of taste who you want to associate the composers with.

Of course, and so we are sharing our tastes on this.  Here are my preferences:

Prokofiev: Ashkenazy
Liszt: Kissin
Rachmaninov: Richter
Bach: Schiff
Beethoven: Serkin
Brahms: Lupu
Chopin: Moravec
Mozart: Horowitz

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 11:27:42 PM
That is quite a point alzado and nicco.

I think listeners should cherished pianists for their interpretations of certain composers, but not immediately encourage the abomination of other pianists' interpretations of the same composer. As you say nicco, it is all a matter of taste, and it ultimately shows up those that like to impress their opinions on others and think that anyone who thinks differently is wrong. Those kind of people are very subjective in their opinions, and never take into account the reasons why someone would disagree with them.

As for my own personal taste, all I can say is that I love Cortot's ChopEtudes and Horowitz's ChopMazurkas. I can't say much about anything else.
Henrah
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hässler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Glière- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert