Piano Forum

Topic: College Apps - they make me want to cry  (Read 3002 times)

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
College Apps - they make me want to cry
on: December 15, 2003, 05:58:39 AM
Is anyone else here applying to college now? Actually that's rather stupid of me, of course there are. Anyways, I have been on this board all night because I am trying to avoid writing college essays at all costs. Vent your complaints and/or recount your inspirational tales of hope (so that I don't go insane :P)

Hating Life :'(, Chopichopchop

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Re: College Apps - they make me want to cry
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 01:05:33 AM
Haha, I haven't started crying yet- not to that stage in application :).  Get this though, not only do I not know where I want to go, I don't know what I want to DO.  Pretty sad state- it'll all be over by February...
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 07:49:32 AM
Well, are you looking into music? There are tons of colleges with great music programs. I'm probably going to double major in English literature and piano performance. At what region of the country are you looking? By the way, this will sound wierd, but I always thought you were some guy in his late twenties or early thirties. I honestly don't know what gave me that impression ;).

Chop

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 02:53:31 AM
I always thought you were some guy in his late twenties or early thirties

Yeh, I get that a lot *stretches*;).  

I would love to do music but only one thing is standing in my way of finalizing the decision- money.  After college, what can you honestly do with a Bachelor's major in music (besides teach).  Music would lead me down the path of poverty, so I'm thinking about aeronautical engineering or something.  I'm in southern US, so there are not quite as many top notch school choices down here as I would like.  Private schools cost too much, so I'm pretty much down to deciding among the public schools.  But first, of course, is that nagging question of what do I even want to do?

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 06:32:41 AM
Yeah, I'm also in the south (Memphis), and I agree with the money thing. I feel that I would rather be happy and maybe not have so much money than have a miserable life in which I make a ton. I also figure that I can double major, so who knows? ;)

Chop

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 02:07:06 AM
I dunno, because money is a big factor (after all, that IS what college is basically for).  I think that I would rather start at the higher-paying subjects and work my way down as I discard possibilities.  
Double majoring is pretty hard, especially if the two majors are so different- you can't really share classes to get credit for both majors.  Have you researched this?

Offline Clare

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 04:13:24 AM
I'm a qualified architect but I'm going to do a bachelor of music next year and quit architecture forever! Call me financially crazy, but I figured out that music teachers actually earn more than architects per hour.
I suppose that doing music might be a bit less scary for me because I do have another career to fall back on, but I only did architecture to please my parents and found out that all I really wanted to do was music.
So you could always do what I did and train for a career in something else first, just in case, quietly improving on your piano skillz all those years. But looking back, I wish I'd just done music in the first place.
I hate architecture!

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 09:17:18 PM
That's awesome. I think that more people should do what makes them happy, regardless of the money factor. If you can do what makes you happy AND get money, then do it. I just don't want to have one of those jobs that makes me hate every day just so that I can earn money.

Chop

P.S. allchop, please don't think I'm judging you. This is just my personal philosophy. :D

Offline Noah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 09:26:33 PM
That's awesome. I think that more people should do what makes them happy, regardless of the money factor.

That's easier said than done.
'Some musicians don't believe in God, but all believe in Bach'
M. Kagel
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert