Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: When Students Practice  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Chopins_Fantaisie

• PS Silver Member
When Students Practice
on: December 15, 2003, 07:46:46 PM
Having two in-house students, I hear daily their practice. Over the past week I've really tuned in to how they're practing - whether they're following my instructions I've written in their notebook, such as "more contrast of dynamics; counting; etc.". Maybe once I'll hear the difference, but most often than not, they practice the song a couple of times monotonously. A couple of times at their lesson I've inquired whether they refer to their notebook during the week and they admit they don't.  ::) Stressing the importance of using it to aid them in their progress goes in one ear and out the other. I don't interfere with their practice during the week unless absolutely necessary... but going by what these two students do - disregarding the practice notebook - I'm concerned about my other students doing the same. I don't have the notebook for my use - to jot down what I want them to remember so I can remember myself the following week what I wanted them to improve (with so many students, it is helpful to have written down the specifics,  but what use is it for me other than that?)

What I'm getting at is, might any of you have suggestions as to what I might do so the students will use their notebook to their advantage, and won't neglect it? And does anyone else have this problem???  
Music is my refuge. I could crawl into the spaces between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou

Offline Scarborough

• PS Silver Member
Re: When Students Practice
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 01:55:47 AM
Draw a box next to each important item for each day you want them to practice it.  When they practice it have them check it off or date it, or have mom/dad date that item if you are fortunate enough to have that much parent involvement .  I don'd do this but have seen people who do.  A warning though:  the student can easily just check them all off or quick write in dates just before they come to their lesson.  

Another idea- make a check list for that song, and when they come back for their lesson tell them you're going down the list and checking off those things they actually practiced and did (because we can can of course tell the moment they start playing, if they did the assignment or not), and whatever they didn't do they'll repeat.

The box thing works I'm told.

Scar/Heather

Offline littlegrass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 10:59:41 PM
I have the same problem, even some of the parents don't listen to my advise.

what I do is, I tend to put homework, like some made up music theory practice, along side the notes, so when the students do the homework , they have to read the notes as well.

Offline jo.clarinet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 05:11:54 PM
I also have this problem! All my pupils are supposed to have notebooks, and the parents are informed that they should check the notebook after each lesson for any special instructions - but I know that although some pupils & parents are diligent about this, the vast majority just don't bother!
I've also found that if you query it with the more remiss of the parents, they get VERY defensive and start talking about their & their children's busy lives etc (and how long does it take to skim through a lesson's worth of notes in the book?! A minute, maybe!).
However, I do have to admit to not reading my own notebook when I was little..............
::)  
Joanna Brown
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert